BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese Welsh

 You are in: UK
Front Page 
Northern Ireland 
UK Politics 
Talking Point 
In Depth 

Commonwealth Games 2002

BBC Sport

BBC Weather

Saturday, 15 September, 2001, 05:01 GMT 06:01 UK
Waiting continues for relatives
Rescue workers in Manhattan
Rescue teams work through the night
Relatives of Britons missing after the terror attacks on New York's World Trade Center are entering a fourth day without news of their loved ones.

Hundreds of Britons are feared to be among the dead after two passenger planes crashed into the twin towers, reducing them to rubble.

Only 124 bodies have been recovered from the wreckage of the World Trade Center, and just 59 have so far been identified.

Officials in New York report that 4,717 people are listed as missing following the attacks.

UK Foreign Secretary Jack Straw has warned that the death toll of UK victims could reach the middle hundreds.


British families, like many others, are hoping for a miracle as rescue workers continue to search for any signs of life at the "ground zero" site in Manhattan.

More than 10,425 tons of rubble have been moved by workers in the hunt for survivors.

Among the latest Britons to be added to the missing list is Swansea financier Catherine James who worked on the 100th floor of the tower.

Nina Sukhabhai, of London, is waiting for news of her cousin Bella, who worked for Cantor Fitzgerald, one of the firms hardest hit by the tragedy.

"Her sister Nisha survived - she worked for Morgan Stanley in Tower Two.

"Bella started work at 8.30am and Nisha started at 9. So Nisha said goodbye to her sister, who then made her way to her desk on the 104th floor. Nisha hung around outside.

'Light a candle'

"As the first plane crashed into the tower, she witnessed the possible fate of her sister. She tried calling her but to no avail."

Publishing executive Sarah Redheffer, 35, had organised a conference at the restaurant on the 106th floor of the North tower.

Neither she nor her colleagues from Risk Waters, including nine British employees, have been heard of since Tuesday.

Speaking from his home in Enfield, north London, her husband Eric Redheffer said: "If you go to a church, light a candle for us."

Sybil Eades-Whyte, of the Isle of Lewis in Scotland, has had no word from her son Gavin Cushie since the terrorist attack.

Gavin, 48, was on the 104th floor of the first tower to be hit. He has been working in the US for 25 years but was due to return to Lewis next month to marry his American fiancée.

Father-of-three Ron Gilligan, 43, is believed to have been at his desk on the 103rd floor when the attack happened.


Originally from Liverpool, IT manager Mr Gilligan has not been seen by his wife Liz and children since leaving for work at Cantor Fitzgerald on Tuesday.

His brother Les said: "You have to be optimistic. You can't let yourself think the worst".

Broker Howard Selwyn, 47, who was on the phone to a colleague when he was told to evacuate, is still missing, according to his brother Ian.

Speaking from Leeds, Ian Selwyn said: "The only thing we are sure about is he was making his way down from the 84th floor. When he got separated, we just don't know.

Key stories


War view



See also:

15 Sep 01 | UK Politics
Blair to hold talks on attacks
14 Sep 01 | UK
Relatives wait for news
Internet links:

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more UK stories are at the foot of the page.

E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more UK stories