BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese Welsh
BBCi CATEGORIES   TV   RADIO   COMMUNICATE   WHERE I LIVE   INDEX    SEARCH 

BBC NEWS
 You are in: UK
Front Page 
World 
UK 
England 
Northern Ireland 
Scotland 
Wales 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


Commonwealth Games 2002

BBC Sport

BBC Weather

SERVICES 
Friday, 31 August, 2001, 10:47 GMT 11:47 UK
Princes mark Diana's death
Flowers and cards at the gates of Kensington Palace in London
Many fans marked the anniversary with flowers
The fourth anniversary of the death of Diana, Princess of Wales, is being marked privately by her sons William and Harry.

The princes, aged 19 and 16, and their father, the Prince of Wales, would remember her "in their own way", said St James's Palace.

Prince Charles is on holiday at Birkhall on the Balmoral estates in Scotland, where the Queen, Queen Mother and most of the rest of the family spend August.

The plans of Prince William and Prince Harry were not revealed, but William is understood to be in Scotland preparing for his first year of art studies at the University of St Andrews.

Diana, Princess of Wales
Diana: Mohammed al-Fayed insists she was the victim of a conspiracy

The princess, who would have been 40 this summer, died in a car crash in Paris on 31 August 1997.

For the third year, there are no official commemorations of the event.

But many members of the public left flowers and cards outside Kensington Palace, Diana's former London home.

In the National Forest in Leicestershire a woodland in Diana's memory was opened.

Three Bosnian pines - chosen as a symbol of the princess's work in supporting landmine clearance in the Balkans - were planted as a "unique living and lasting memorial to the princess's life and work."

The museum at Althorp, Diana's family home and where she is now buried, closed to visitors for the season on Thursday.

Earlier this week, the Diana Memorial Fund marked the anniversary with the launch of a 5 care scheme for HIV, Aids and cancer sufferers in east and southern Africa.

More conspiracy claims

Harrods owner Mohamed Al Fayed, whose son Dodi was killed with Diana, marked the anniversary by continuing his battle to prove their deaths were no accident.

Mr Al Fayed held a video broadcast for American journalists saying he was "in no doubt that the deaths were a result of murder with racism at the core".


The deaths were a result of murder with racism at the core

Mohammed al-Fayed

He accused US security agencies of having been involved in a huge cover-up over the deaths.

He said the CIA, the National Security Agency and the FBI had refused to hand over documents he said would prove the couple was murdered.

He argued that the British authorities had wanted to prevent Dodi from marrying the mother of the future king because he was a Muslim.

He also repeated allegations that the Mercedes driver Henri Paul - who also died in the crash - had ties to British intelligence.

French investigators long ago concluded that the crash was caused because Mr Paul was drunk and driving at high speed.

They said he had no ties to British or any other intelligence agencies.

See also:

28 Aug 01 | UK
Diana fund's 5m pledge
29 Jul 01 | UK
Royal wedding 20 years on
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more UK stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more UK stories