Thursday, August 13, 1998 Published at 11:36 GMT 12:36 UK
Cubs to the rescue
Experts demonstrate the art of juggling with fire
An investigation is being launched after a fire juggler's equipment exploded, injuring two adults and a child at a birthday party.
Six-year-old Sam Maclaren was engulfed in flames when a bowl of methylated spirits used by the entertainer combusted.
Birthday boy Liam Boller, 11, and a fellow cub scout put their training into action and rolled the youngster on the floor until the flames were extinguished, then wrapped him in a duvet.
Two women, including Sam's mother Wendy, 30, were also injured at the party in Dover, Kent, on Wednesday evening.
Liam's aunt Jane Bennett, 31, is stable with burns in a specialist unit in Sussex.
Dover District Council is investigating the incident on behalf of the Health and Safety Executive.
Mrs Bennett's mother Catherine Boller said: "It is all a really tragic accident. Liam was a real little hero.
"He knew exactly what to do. It all seemed to be over in minutes."
Liam, who will be 12 on Friday, said: "I was having a joint party with my friend Stacey Maclaren who was 11 on Monday.
"We were all having a really good time. There was a bouncy castle and a juggler.
"The juggler went and got a bottle and poured it into a bowl which was alight.
"Suddenly there were flames everywhere. Sam was shouting. He was alight.
"Me and my friend Shane jumped on him and rolled him on the ground.
"We kept him away from the trees and we jumped on his head till the flames went out.
"I learned how to do it at cubs. I wasn't scared - but I was scared afterwards."