Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education



Front Page

World

UK

UK Politics

Business

Sci/Tech

Health

Education

Sport

Entertainment

Talking Point
On Air
Feedback
Low Graphics
Help

Saturday, August 8, 1998 Published at 02:54 GMT 03:54 UK


UK

Lucan is dead, says son



Lord Lucan's son is reported to be planning to take up the title because he believes his father is dead.

George Bingham, 30, says he is satisfied from his own inquiries that his father is dead, according to the Daily Mail.

Lord Lucan disappeared after an intruder broke into the family home in London's Belgravia on the night of 7 November 1974.

Nanny Sandra Rivett was beaten to death with a lead pipe and Lady Lucan was then attacked.

Lucan, who was estranged from his wife, spelled out in letters written before his disappearance that he had been passing and had gone to investigate.

But police believed that he was obsessed with his three children, and having lost a custody battle for them, went to wreak revenge on his wife, but mistook the nanny for her.

His bloodstained car was found later, but there was no trace of the peer.

'New Earl in town'

Many "sightings" of Lucan, who enjoyed gambling and was know as 'Lucky' Lucan, have been reported over the past two decades, but investigations have failed to find him.

Lord Bingham is reported as saying: "If anyone buys the official story then they have to explain why a man who murdered out of obsession for his children has made absolutely no contact with them for 24 years."

He said he was going to assume the title and start calling himself the 8th Earl of Lucan, taking his seat in the Lords.

He slept through the dramatic events in London's Lower Belgrave Street.

And he told the newspaper: "I thought it prudent to alert people that there might be a new Earl of Lucan in town."



Advanced options | Search tips




Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage |


UK Contents

Northern Ireland
Scotland
Wales
England
In this section

Next steps for peace

Blairs' surprise over baby

Bowled over by Lord's

Beef row 'compromise' under fire

Hamilton 'would sell mother'

Industry misses new trains target

From Sport
Quins fightback shocks Cardiff

From Business
Vodafone takeover battle heats up

IRA ceasefire challenge rejected

Thousands celebrate Asian culture

From Sport
Christie could get two-year ban

From Entertainment
Colleagues remember Compo

Mother pleads for baby's return

Toys withdrawn in E.coli health scare

From Health
Nurses role set to expand

Israeli PM's plane in accident

More lottery cash for grassroots

Pro-lifers plan shock launch

Double killer gets life

From Health
Cold 'cure' comes one step closer

From UK Politics
Straw on trial over jury reform

Tatchell calls for rights probe into Mugabe

Ex-spy stays out in the cold

From UK Politics
Blair warns Livingstone

From Health
Smear equipment `misses cancers'

From Entertainment
Boyzone star gets in Christmas spirit

Fake bubbly warning

Murder jury hears dead girl's diary

From UK Politics
Germ warfare fiasco revealed

Blair babe triggers tabloid frenzy

Tourists shot by mistake

A new look for News Online