BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: UK Politics
Front Page 
World 
UK 
UK Politics 
Interviews 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 

Wednesday, 18 April, 2001, 13:14 GMT 14:14 UK
London faces third Tube strike
London Underground
London transport will be disrupted again
London Underground workers calling for action over safety are to stage another Tube strike next month.

The walkout will start on the evening of 2 May, hitting services on 3 May, the Rail Maritime and Transport Union (RMT) announced on Wednesday.

The union warned the disruption - the third strike since early February - could last for up to 36 hours, and said it might call further strikes.


London Underground has not made any meaningful attempt to try to resolve the differences between us

Bob Crow, RMT
Services were virtually halted last month when the RMT called its second strike over safety fears, leading to travel chaos in the capital.

The Corporation of London said the last strike would cost at least 100m in lost days' work, production and commerce.

All but three Tube lines were shut down during the strike, with only 45 out of a fleet of more than 500 trains in operation.

No resolution

Bob Crow, the RMT's assistant general secretary, said no attempt had been made to resolve the dispute since the last strike.

The union fears safety will be hit under the government's controversial plans to run the Tube through a public private partnership (PPP).

"London Underground has not made any meaningful attempt to try to resolve the differences between us," said Mr Crow.

"They should realise the depth of feeling among our members for the safety of the Tube."

Talks were held at the conciliation service Acas last month but failed to head off the previous strike.

London Mayor Ken Livingstone has been granted a judicial review of the government's PPP plan to break up the London Underground.

On Tuesday he said the government's decision to announce the private consortia chosen to run the network by 2 May - before the judicial review starts on 12 June - showed "contempt for the overwhelming view of Londoners".

The Conservatives, meanwhile, have their unveiled plans for the Tube by pledging to introduce a no-strike agreement.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

17 Apr 01 | UK Politics
Two-pronged attack on Tube plans
08 Jan 01 | UK Politics
Livingstone backs tube safety strike
03 Apr 01 | UK Politics
Courts 'to decide' Tube future
28 Mar 01 | UK Politics
New attack launched in Tube battle
06 Dec 00 | UK Politics
GLA rejects Tube sell-off
02 Feb 01 | UK Politics
Tube deal reached
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more UK Politics stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more UK Politics stories