BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: UK
Front Page 
World 
UK 
England 
Northern Ireland 
Scotland 
Wales 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 



Jeremy Phipps, Director, Control Risks Group
"What we advising our clients of at the present moment is try to avoid routine""
 real 56k

The BBC's Julia Wheeler
"One person was seriously injured"
 real 56k

Thursday, 23 November, 2000, 12:26 GMT
Britons warned after Saudi blast
map of saudi arabia
Britons living in or travelling to Saudi Arabia have been warned to exercise "caution" in the wake of a car blast which injured three British nationals.

The trio were hurt in an explosion that ripped through their four-wheel drive vehicle in the Saudi capital Riyadh.

The two men and a woman were rushed to hospital but the UK Foreign Office said the wounds were not thought to be life threatening.

There is no indication as to who or what caused the blast - the second such explosion in the capital in less than a week.

Last week, a British national was killed and his wife injured in what British officials said was a deliberate attack.

BBC correspondent Julia Wheeler says Saudi authorities have pointed to personal rather than political motives for that attack.

'Exercise caution'

A Foreign Office spokesman told BBC News Online: "Saudi Arabia is one of the countries where there is an increased threat to British nationals.

"We advise them to exercise caution. We keep our travel advice under constant review and are keeping in close touch with the Saudis as they investigate the cause of this explosion.

"We will consider it in light of any new information."

And the British embassy in Riyadh said security was under review and would doubtless be tightened in the wake of the attack.

Wednesday's explosion comes at a time of heightened tension in the region because of the situation in Israel and the Palestinian territories.

It took place at 10.55pm (1955 GMT) on Wednesday, in an upmarket district of the capital.

One of the three was said to be in a stable condition with injuries to his right leg, while the other two suffered minor injuries, the police said.

An investigation has been launched into a possible link between the two blasts.

Thousands of British ex-pats

About 30,000 Britons work in Saudi Arabia, many of them in the defence industry.

But, after last Friday's attack, the UK Foreign Office said there was no history of terrorist attacks against Britons in Saudi Arabia.

In 1995 and 1996 there were two powerful explosions against US targets in Riyadh and eastern Saudi Arabia's main oil centre of Dahran, which together killed 24 American citizens.

The attacks were blamed on Muslim militants trying to drive western forces from the Arabian Peninsula.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

23 Nov 00 | Middle East
New Saudi car blast
13 Oct 00 | Middle East
The West in danger
17 Nov 00 | Middle East
Briton killed in Saudi blast
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more UK stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more UK stories