[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Thursday, 21 July 2005, 17:21 GMT 18:21 UK
Mobile networks bear blast calls
Oval Station in London
Police cordoned off Oval Station in London
Mobile phone networks are back to normal after initial spikes of traffic as news spread of the latest four blasts across London.

Vodafone, the largest network, told the BBC News Website it had seen "significantly higher call volumes" than usual following the incidents.

But it, as well as the other main operator networks, had returned to a "normal service".

Police have called for anyone with mobile images or video to e-mail them.

They have asked that anyone with images relevant to the incident should send them through the www.police.uk website, or send the photos via MMS (Multimedia Messaging Service) to 07734 282 288.

London's Tube network was thrown into chaos with stations cleared after the blasts on trains and a bus.

Met Police chief Sir Ian Blair said three Tube lines were suspended but that London was getting back to business.

The incidents came just two weeks after four blasts, three on the London Underground system and one on a bus, killed 56 people.

Text only

Earlier in the day, a spokesperson said Vodafone had advised people in London to avoid making unnecessary calls, and to send text messages instead.

While some networks noticed the increase in call traffic others, such as T-Mobile, told the BBC News website that it was still business as usual.

A spokesperson said that it had experienced "none of the congestion" that it had faced two weeks ago.

The 3G video phone network, 3, told the BBC News website that, like others, it had registered a spike in calls after the blasts, but that the network was back to normal.

It was currently investigating whether there had been any particular change in video traffic sent over the network, however.

A spokesperson from Orange there was a "slight increase" of calls made on the network directly after the latest incidents, but that levels were now back to normal.

The strain, he added, was "nowhere near" as significant as the levels it saw two weeks ago following the attacks.

O2 reported a high volume of calls in the London area following reports of the blasts. It too advised people not to make unnecessary calls.

Both Vodafone and T-Mobile said they had not received any requests from authorities to prioritise traffic or to shut down any part of the mobile network.

Directly following the incidents two weeks ago in London, mobile phone images and videos flooded into news websites, as well as blogs and photo sharing websites.

Within a short time after the blasts were reported, photos from people caught up in police cordons started to appear once more in groups which had been set up on the photo sharing community site, Flickr, to pool the images from two weeks ago.


BBC NEWS: VIDEO AND AUDIO
Amateur video footage captured on mobile phones



RELATED INTERNET LINKS:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


PRODUCTS AND SERVICES

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia
UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature | Technology | Health
Have Your Say | In Pictures | Week at a Glance | Country Profiles | In Depth | Programmes
Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific