Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBCi CATEGORIES   TV   RADIO   COMMUNICATE   WHERE I LIVE   INDEX    SEARCH 

BBC NEWS
 You are in: Talking Point: Forum
Front Page 
World 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
Forum 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 

Commonwealth Games 2002

BBC Sport

BBC Weather

SERVICES 
Sunday, 12 August, 2001, 19:12 GMT 20:12 UK
Scottish exams boss answers your questions
Put your questions to the head of the Scottish Qualifications Authority
The head of the Scottish Qualifications Authority has answered your questions on this year's exam results.

Click here to watch.

Scotland's Higher and Standard grade results are due to be delivered to anxious students on 14 August.

But it's also been a testing time for exams body the Scottish Qualifications Authority in the wake of last year's crisis which saw problems with thousands of results.

SQA chief executive Bill Morton has been answering your questions on this year's results in a special News Online Scotland webcast, hosted by Ken Macdonald.

He answered his critics and moved to reassure candidates that their results will be on time - and accurate.

I expect the evidence will be there to demonstrate that we have come a long way

Bill Morton
Mr Morton said he understood that last year's debacle had undermined confidence in this year's process.

But he stressed the way of checking the accuracy of results had been significantly bolstered.

And he said that barring any mishap in the postal system, all candidates would receive their results on 14 August.

He also defended the decision to send results to schools before candidates and played down claims - made last year - that the problems with the 2000 results had been caused by computer problems.

The SQA chief refused to be drawn into speculating what the future might hold for him because his contract, which saw him move to the body on secondment, finishes in November.

He praised his staff for the efforts they had made in times of great change.

"My chairman and I have both said publicly that in our estimation it could take three years for the SQA to be truly operational.

"But this year I expect the evidence will be there to demonstrate that we have come a long way," he said.

See also:

12 Aug 01 | Scotland
Exams boss answers his critics
09 Aug 01 | Scotland
Doubts remain over exam results
03 Aug 01 | Scotland
Exam chiefs' vote of confidence
20 Jul 01 | Scotland
Exams body in marker inquiry
03 Jul 01 | Scotland
Black market exams 'racket' probed
15 Jun 01 | Scotland