[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Thursday, 7 July, 2005, 15:19 GMT 16:19 UK
London explosions: Your accounts
Paramedics attend one of the bomb sites
More than 50 people have been killed and hundreds injured in a series of bomb blasts that have hit the Underground network and a bus in London.

This is a second page of your comments.

The following comments reflect the balance of opinion we have received so far:

I would just like to praise the calmness and common sense of Londoners
Martin Raynes, London, UK
I have been in the City of London close by the sites of today's outrages. I would just like to praise the calmness and common sense of Londoners who have acted calmly and with unflappable good humour in the face of the callous cruelty of these attacks. If only the perpetrators of these attacks could have seen the deep resilience of the Londoners I've been with today they might find themselves doubting the effectiveness of their vicious small minded philosophy of life.
Martin Raynes, London, UK

Just feel total disbelief about these events. My husband is working in London today for the first time in ages. He was at one of the stations affected 30 minutes before this all happened. Full of relief that he is okay. Sending my condolences and sympathy to those affected by these monsters. Our thoughts and prayers are with you. Well done to the emergency services for all their hard work.
Christine Murch, Gloucester, England

Shocked and very sad with these events. Congratulations to the emergency people in London to the BBC which is doing an extraordinary cover and also. We must stay together to fight this terrible enemy. All religions, parties must be together.
Lucia Silva-Clark, London

My husband has called to say that he is fine though his office is deserted
Sheena, London, UK
I have been watching elements of the coverage of the incident this morning and my husband has called to say that he is fine though his office is deserted. While I want to be kept aware of events, I am finding the blanket coverage disturbing and difficult. We have gone through other situations such as these (Brighton bombing, Staples Corner, IRA attacks in the city) yet I do not recall this constant barrage of emotion that the 'news' is giving us. Please can we keep news reporting just that - as news rather than the emotional twist that newscasters are already adding to the story.
Sheena, London, UK

To the people of London, our thoughts and prayers are with you. As a New Yorker I know first hand how you feel. Be strong and steadfast and hope for an end to all this senseless violence. United we stand.
Jack, New York, NY

The terrorists attacks today make me more determined than ever to carry on with my life as normal and that will include travelling into central London by tube tomorrow, if the system is running. If the terrorists think we are cowering at home, scared witless, their intelligence about the people of this country, and particularly this capital city, is very poor.
Andrea Wharton, London, UK

It would be very helpful for me to know if BBC can inform us the way to do blood donation in a most appropriate way, if it is necessarily. I think that is only thing I can do at the moment for people who injured.
Sakiko , London

Alexander Chadwick took this picture in the tunnel at King's Cross
Alexander Chadwick took this picture in the tunnel at King's Cross
At ten to nine, southbound on the Piccadilly line between King's Cross and Russell Square, my train was derailed. Obviously a derailment is rather scary but we hadn't heard anything about terrorism or anything like that at the time. There was a flash and a bang (not a big one, I doubt the train I was on was the one that took the direct hit of a bomb) and the train stopped surprisingly quickly.

Smoke was everywhere so we were a little concerned about fire but it soon became clear that there was none so we just stayed put and waited for someone to tell us what to do! No one in my carriage panicked which is quite surprising as the smoke was really thick and nasty, everyone was breathing through shirts and tissues. We were stuck on the train for about 25 minutes before an official came and told us what was going on, and we evacuated quite calmly. I don't know what happened up at the front of the train though.
Alexander Chadwick, Enfield, London, UK

We were first told there was a huge power failure and that the whole tube was not operational
Gurpal Bhachu, London, UK
I was on the Metropolitan Line from Ickenham to Farringdon. We were first told there was a huge power failure and that the whole tube was not operational. I took at bus to Willesden Junction hoping to get a train to Euston, only to find that there were no trains going to Euston. I decided to go home. I took second bus to Acton, a third to Uxbridge then a fourth to Ickenham. It's now 2pm and I've just got to Uxbridge.
Gurpal Bhachu, London, UK

How can people be so cruel? I am in school and there are so many people crying and ringing their families wondering if they are alive or not. We have been watching the news on school televisions and people have been going out of the room in shock. We saw pictures of the buses and thought to ourselves "I could have been sitting on that bus a couple of days ago". We are innocent people and can't be punished like this.
Livvy, Kent

As soon as I got to work I heard the terrible news. It makes me feel sick and angry. I was lucky that I managed to get to work little bit earlier. I feel with people who got affected by this terrible incident. I work in Kensington and live in Chigwell Essex. I use central line for most of my journey. How will I get home? Who knows.
Monika, Chigwell, Essex

Am incredibly proud of the emergency services and the way we are all pulling together. Makes me proud to be a Londoner. They will never drive us out - Christian, Jew or Moslem, whoever or whatever we are, we are all Londoners and we will stand together and show these people they cannot destroy us. Peace!
Matt, London

It is a day no Londoner will forget: 07/07/2005
S, Croydon
I'm working in an office in Barkley's square, when the news of the blasts came in tons of police cars, ambulances and fire engines screamed past within seconds, then the phones started ringing and e-mails started to send and receive in news on whether loved ones were OK. I myself couldn't get through to my mum's mobile. But my Dad told me she had phoned him and she was alright. I have never had such a massive scare in my life, it is a day no Londoner will forget: 07/07/2005.
S, Croydon

I work right next to Liverpool Street and use this station everyday. I found at the tubes were shut and got on the No. 6 bus from Queens park to continue my journey. Whilst on the bus around Maida Vale I heard the news of the explosion at Liverpool Street. I told other passengers and advised them to go home but no one seemed to understand the seriousness of the situation. I only heard about the bus explosion once off the bus and waited at a coffee shop until picked up by my husband. As I sat in the coffee shop I saw buses with passengers on them driving past. Surely all buses should have been evacuated and suspended especially as the area I was in was so close to Edgware Road tube, the scene of one of the tube stations. My thoughts are with all those hurt in the explosions.
Noreen Hussain, London, UK

I arrived in Central London late, and only saw the aftermath. What I did see however, was trained professionals from the Emergency Services and the Army doing sterling work under an horrific amount of pressure. Thank you all.
KO'G, London, UK

I was on the Met line tube this morning but got off at Moorgate to grab a coffee
Luke, London, UK
I was on the Met line tube this morning but got off at Moorgate to grab a coffee. Apparently, the first one went off on the Met line between Liverpool Street and Aldgate - can't help but think it was the tube I was on. My thoughts are with anyone caught up in this, and count my own blessings.
Luke, London, UK

I'm at school in Bromley, we first got news at about 11 o'clock, all lessons have carried on as usual, we have been allowed to watch TV, we allowed to call friends and family, we are all very anxious for more news.
Mike Edwards, Bromley

From the deepest reaches of my heart, I feel for you. I hope and pray that God sees your pain and helps with it. You have your 9-11 today. For that I truly am sorry. But it will get better and the sun will shine. Thank you for your support during our time of need and offer my family's support in your time of need. May God bless you and keep you safe.
Marc Barker, Walterboro, SC, USA

My thoughts go out to the people of London. As a Bus Driver in Sheffield this has really shocked me. There are some sick people in this world but thank god that there are many more decent people.
Neil Unwin, Sheffield

We are all Londoners today
Julien, Paris, France
Yesterday, we were annoyed with Londoners and English people. London won the games and Paris lost them. And today we wake up. We realise that these little fights between old friends are for spoilt children. We are all facing a huge challenge. We have all to fight terrorism. We are all Londoners today. We all feel sad and share the pain of the one who are suffering today. Do not worry my friends, we will be with you in this fight and we will win it.
Julien, Paris, France

This incident has shocked me and all of my friends. When I first heard the news I could not believe what had happened. Our emergency services are doing a great job in tackling this tragedy. Our prayers go out to the wounded and to the families of those who have been affected.
Stuart, Farnborough, UK

Only yesterday I, along with many others joined in London's Joy at winning the 2012 Olympic Games. As I watched the wonderful scenes in Trafalgar Square and felt a sense of pride, not only as a Brit, but as a London Boy born bred. Part of me missed living in London for moments like that. Today I write shocked and stunned at the terrible atrocities that have taken place this Morning. Although Londoners at present are fearful and in shock, I know the strength and determination they have, living through the IRA campaign and I have great faith that this will not overshadow their lives. I live in Birmingham but my heart is with all of you in London.
Roger Brent, Birmingham UK

We both heard a large 'bang' and then the lights went out
Louise Pope, London, England
I was at Liverpool Street Station (just as the first bang when off at 8.50 am) with my friend Moira and we both heard a large 'bang' and then the lights went out, and then my friend told me to duck down. We didn't see any smoke but the whole thing is so scary.
Louise Pope, London, England

My friend has just sent me a text message. She has just been evacuated from her office in the Strand. She was told to get out of London.
Brian Mason, Surbiton, Surrey

Even though an Islamic website has claimed for this event, I hope the British people will not take revenge on Muslims living in the UK, as many are as shocked and sad because of this. I urge them not to fall for the lowest emotions of hate and thirst of violence.
Chris Irons, Brussels, Belgium

Our thoughts are with you. People from Madrid know very well what you are suffering.
Antonio Garcia Martin, Madrid (Spain)

I am not in London, but I feel close by (80miles), and feel totally devastated by what has happened. I am disgusted by those responsible, and pray that no more lives are lost. The emergency services, as always, have done a stirling job - but this shouldn't be part of their job. Unnecessary and planned terror attacks are destroying the world we live in. I would like to ask the perpetrators - why? My thoughts and hopes and prayers are with everyone sadly involved in this tragic event.
Maxine, March, UK

I heard about the explosion on the Swedish television and I just want to express my sympathies to all victims and injured, and I believe I can speak for a lot of Swedish people, that we stand united towards these cowardly terrorists that hit innocent people, regardless religion, colour or age.
Marie Wickman, Sweden

Staff handled the evacuation very well and managed to clear all passengers out of the underground very quickly
Vishal, Edgware Road
I am on Edgware Road, it has calmed down now but was chaotic in the morning. Luckily I decided to come through Marble Arch station today instead of Edgware Road. The jubilee line stopped at Baker St so I had to walk since all buses were packed. The Jubilee line and staff at the station handled the evacuation very well and managed to clear all passengers out of the underground very quickly. Well Done! Members of staff helped people to find alternative routes as well.
Vishal, Edgware Road

May I just say well done to the emergency services for there quick and effective response to this mornings Tragedy and for there unity in preventing further injury.
James, Peterborough

We are standing with you London. As you did for us. Stay united.
Mike, New York, USA

From elation to total despair in less than 24 hours. the country was united in joy at the news of the Olympics yesterday. Today we are united in grief.
Pam Croft, Chorley, Lancashire

I was on the Northern line when the first lot of bombs occurred and we had to be evacuated off the tube even though our train had started to leave the station. I was trapped at Waterloo after having been to London Bridge twice this morning and then we were told that the tube was shutting down... there was an emergency... Everyone rushed out and there was like a huge stampede of people and I got crushed against a building. The buses were full and there were long queues when people started shouting that there was a bomb explosion on a bus... everyone started to run and leave the queues. I managed to walk all the way from Waterloo to Piccadilly to meet friends... I am really shocked about the whole thing...
Cate, Surrey

I arrived at Kings Cross at 09:35 on an over ground train from Cambridge. All passengers were immediately evacuated from the station into the streets. I crossed the Euston Road, heading south along Argyle Street towards Grays Inn Road. At 09:47 I heard a loud bang, presumably the Tavistock Square bus explosion a few streets away.
Richard Hare, Cambridge

I am working in Liverpool street and was trapped at Waterloo on the subway and then stuck in traffic on the buses when everything began...it has been horrendous, 5 hours on continuous emergency sirens all around us, plain unknowing chaos, all stations are shut all phone networks are jammed. The police are managing the situation very well but what can they do, slowly news is getting through and understanding is replacing unknowing confusion. I feel sick by the events this morning, sick, shaken and rattled, yet extremely lucky. Terrorist will never win when they target the innocents
Colin, London

Oxford Street is devoid of buses and nearly all taxis
Gareth C Thomas, London, UK
I live in Poplar, E14 and work in Baker Street, just off of Oxford Street in the West End. I normally cycle to work but this morning I had planned to take the DLR and London Underground because of the JP Morgan Chase Challenge run in Battersea Park. I even loaded up my Oyster card last night! At the last minute I changed my mind and came in to work on the moped. At 1.15pm today Oxford Street is devoid of buses and nearly all taxis. The only people you can see is the odd cyclist, bemused tourists and workers attempting to get home. The roads leading to the US Embassy are cordoned off by police. Road blocks are probably all the way along my normal route. Good luck getting home to all of us.
Gareth C Thomas, London, UK

I arrived at Kings Cross at 09:35 on an overground train from Cambridge. All passengers were immediately evacuated from the station into the streets. I crossed the Euston Road, heading south along Argyle Street towards Grays Inn Road. At 09:47 I heard a loud bang, presumably the Tavistock Square bus explosion a few streets away.
Richard Hare, Cambridge

I would just like to say a spectacular "Well Done" to our Emergency Services, also please pass on my sympathy to all those involved, and my utter disgust to those responsible
Lisa Lynch, Clacton - Essex

I was trying to catch the Victoria line to go to university when I saw an unusually jammed crowd. I eventually managed to work my way through after a long and suffocating wait and got off at Green Park where I walked to the Piccadilly line. We were told there that the Westbound platform line was disrupted, shortly followed by the Eastbound platform one. After finally getting back on the Victoria line and getting off at Oxford Circus to catch the Central line, we were told there was a major power strike. I knew then something wasn't right. Soon after the state of emergency was declared and as we gaspingly got out of the station people were running in all directions and desperately trying to catch buses or call their office, family and friends. It was total chaos.
Marie, London, UK

My husband called me shortly after 9:30 from BMA House where he works. He'd heard a big explosion and seen debris flying through the air, past his office window. BMA House was evacuated and the last I heard they were all still behind police cordons. When I tried calling him back I got a message saying the telephone networks were all busy.
Kate, London

I live in Aldgate and was so fortunate. I take the tube to work and caught the tube to Liverpool St at which point I got evacuated. Another minute at Aldgate and who knows what would have happened... the whole area is blocked off and we are hoping that there won't be a need to evacuate our house.
Abdul, London

I work in the City and get the Hammersmith and City line to Moorgate every morning. At about 8.45 we were held just outside Farrington and told that we had to disembark and continue our journeys on foot. I assumed that we were just facing another one of the innumerable delays that occur on the underground, but as I walked through the City I heard an awful lot of sirens and helicopters overhead. It was only when I was passing a coffee shop that had News 24 on that I finally found out what was happening. I'm in the City now and the atmosphere is really quite eerie.
Iain Wilson, Milton Keynes, UK

Ambulances were then seen leaving the scene
Anon, London
I am working on Fenchurch St. And about half an hour ago they cornered off the big Marks and Spencer's on the Gracechurch St corner. Apparently, an incident had occurred. Ambulances were then seen leaving the scene.
Anon, London

I work in a factory by the Millennium Dome in Greenwich and all we keep seeing are ambulances and fire engines flying past us towards the city centre. North Greenwich underground is eerily quiet as the only traffic coming and going from there are empty buses normally packed out with commuters. My parents came down from Lincolnshire for a hospital appointment for my mother and they got turned away by security as soon as they got to the car park. Apparently the hospital is being closed to minor patients to make way for ETA's. The last I heard they were still trying to get out of London.

I work on the corner of Bishopsgate and heard the sirens start at about 8:50, there was an incredibly swift response from the emergency services and I have a birds eye view from my office. My main concern was that unfortunately, the only thing that slowed down response times was by people who were rubber-necking in vehicles in front of Liverpool Street.

I work on Old Broad Street, just off Liverpool St. We have been instructed not to leave the building and police have cleared the immediate surrounding streets.
Savio Correia-Afonso, London, UK

We were held at Kings Cross Station for about 20 minutes, stuck inside the tube. The station had already been evacuated but they wouldn't let us off. When we were finally evacuated, Kings Cross area was bedlam. I tried to get on a bus, no chance! Decided to walk to work instead and when I got to around the Euston Square area there was a massive explosion in the road next to me. People were running away screaming and in shock-it was terrifying. I later found out that this was the bus explosion. We're now being held in our offices and provisions are being made for us to stay here overnight
Sasha Hudson, London

I work on the corner of Bishopsgate and heard the sirens start at about 8:50, there was an incredibly swift response from the emergency services and I have a birds eye view from my office. My main concern was that unfortunately, the only thing that slowed down response times was by people who were rubber-necking in vehicles in front of Liverpool Street.

I was on the Hammersmith line tube when it pulled into Edgware Rd. As the doors opened, there was a loud, muffled bang. I thought it was an electricity power box jumping. It seemed to come from the tunnel at the rear. No idea if it was my train as I was near the front. People were mostly calm. I got off and stayed about 30 secs on the platform. Then the station authorities announced that the station was being evacuated. People remained calm and orderly. No-one had any idea of the nature of the blast. Coming down via Aldwych...plenty of police and ambulance, but no-one was ordering people off the buses, which were all packed.
Raymund Macvicar, London

I changed trains at Edgware Road this morning because the Bakerloo was running slow. Got just through Kings X on the Hammersmith and City when the driver told us we couldn't go forward due to power problems. After 45 mins, we were evacuated through a side entrance at Kings X. It was only then we realised that something major was going on. I can't believe I've had such a near miss.
Liz Driver, Reading, Berks

I was on the Piccadilly Line-the first after there was a fire alarm at Caledonian Road. Just after Kings X there was a "bang" coming from the front carriage-the light went out and emergency lighting came on-smoke came apparently from outside-There were no announcement-some people started panicking after a while and tried to smash the doors-but only to injure themselves- after about 30min 2 policemen opened the back door and let people out. I wonder why it took so long-the smoke settled down after a while and I assume it was only dust spelled around by the sudden tube break-we were only maybe 100m away from the platform. But when you're inside you don't realise that. I guess no one was seriously injured on that train-but I haven't seen what happened to the people at the front carriage- They should have passed information that there is no fire etc. the atmosphere in a packed tube carriage is already frightening enough.
Harald Schoenbrodt, London

I reached Euston station by Silverlink county at close to 9am, walked to Euston square tube to find police blocking it. So went back to Euston central again to access Euston underground, cops evacuating there too, saying Liverpool St possible explosion. So took no 59 bus to reach Holborn. As the bus passed a bit after Tavistock square park, we heard an explosion - something like a big bang , sort of muffled inside a metal container. We looked back from the upper deck - saw a huge metal scrap thing on the road, with a few fumes coming out, someone was on the road trying to pull something out of it. All of us panicked and hurried to get out of bus, people losing it completely. I am lucky to be writing this. This was the first time I smelt death so near.
Krishnakumar Nair, Wembley Middlesex

Went to catch the tube at Aldgate East just before 9am, but was told to go to Aldgate or Whitechapel. At 9am I arrived at Aldgate tube and witnessed scores of commuters being herded into a room at the entrance of the tube station. They were all black, covered in soot and most had blood streaming from their faces. Over the next 5 minutes, fire engines, police cars and police buses quickly converged on Aldgate tube. Not knowing exactly what was happening, but fearing the worst, I hurried off on foot to my office in the City.
James Chin, London

I had just got on tube at Liverpool street and just before the doors shut, an explosion went off in the next carriage. Lights went out and people calmly left the tube. There was smoke coming from the carriage. On my alternative route to work, I walked up Southampton Row when I heard another explosion and people running in a panic from Russell Square.
Michael Dunn, London

I couldn't get on Northern Line at Tooting Bec at 7.50am this morning so got train from Balham to Victoria. At Oxford Circus we were told the Bakerloo line was suspended so I went to Notting Hill to catch the district and Circle line to Paddington. This train was then held at Bayswater were we were told there was "no traction" at Edgware Road and advised to get the bus which I did. No further information was given at Bayswater by LU staff and passengers were still trying to enter the station as I left.
Kerri O'Reilly, London

I was waiting for West bound district line train at Tower Hill, I heard a big explosion noise from the tunnel. Everyone at the station panicked and looked at the station attendant on the other platform. After a minute the station closure announcement came and everyone left the station.
Sri, Basildon

I was on the Victoria Line at Green Park when they threw everyone off and evacuated the station. They said the whole network was suspended. Buses are not entering zone 1, but are stopping at the boundary.
Joe Cannon, London

I was just leaving Aldgate station, about to go through the ticket gate when I heard a loud explosion. It seemed to come from the eastbound Circle line tunnel from Liverpool Street. Everyone in the station started looking in that direction and there seemed to be some smoke. The tube staff appeared in shock at first but then swiftly evacuated the station. If I had been on the train after, I would now be covered in soot.
Paul Bourke, Amersham, UK

I had to hand in a pair of shoes to a repair shop in Aldgate High Street while walking to the office this morning. Fire engines were arriving at Aldgate tube station as I approached it and the guys in the shop said they had felt their building shake and their windows rattled. It seemed people were lying on the pavement outside of the station although it was difficult to see clearly. Others arriving in the office reported that staff in the bus station opposite the tube station had seen smoke coming from the tube station. Our office is in Braham Street and everything is normal but I understand premises closer the tube station have now been evacuated.
Norman Allan, London

I had just got on to the westbound Circle Line train, second rear carriage, at Liverpool St. Station. The explosion seemed to come out of the tunnel leading from Aldgate. There was dust and smoke in the air. I thought a bomb had gone off in the rear carriage but couldn't see any damage to it. Then people started to evacuate quickly after a few moments. I didn't see any injured people though. There was no real panic - just a overwhelming sense to get out of the station quickly.
Michael Wren, North Fambridge, Essex

There was smoke coming from the carriage
Michael Dunn, London
I had just got on tube at Liverpool Street and just before the doors shut, an explosion went off in the next carriage. Lights went out and people calmly left the tube. There was smoke coming from the carriage. On my alternative route to work, I walked up Southampton Row when I heard another explosion and people running in a panic from Russell Square.
Michael Dunn, London

I am sitting in my office in Tottenham Court Road and can hear police sirens and helicopters flying over. Apparently there are problems at Kings Cross as well. I hope that we hear more news soon.
Gillian, London

The road outside (London Gateway, just South of Liverpool Street) is a car park. At least 5 fire engines and over a dozen emergency services vehicles have gone past, along with a convoy of 5 Police Vans ... Looks pretty intense.
Martin Hatch, London, UK

I got a Thames link train from Luton and it arrived at Kings Cross at 8:40am. The train was delayed and running slow so fortunately I didn't put my headphones in my ears so I could hear announcements. When I got to the south bound platform of the northern Line it was rammed with people trying to squeeze onto the tube. Then an automated voice came over the loudspeaker system asking for passengers to evacuate the station. I'm now amazed at how dismissive everyone was, myself included. No-one paid any attention to the announcement and we all continued to stand on the platform waiting for the next tube! It wasn't until a London Underground worker came bellowing down the platform - about 3 minutes later - that people started to move, and then they were moving really slowly, huffing and puffing in annoyance. It just proves how we're all so used to being messed around by the London transport system. We turn into zombies on the way to work and our lives are put into danger everyday by overcrowding and hot & uncomfortable conditions. Getting to work is officially a mission of survival!
Tycie West, Luton

I work for BPP near Kings Cross. We are a college and have been inundated with family members calling asking that there family made it to college on time. It is madness here.
Terry Wallace, Croydon, England

I'm in the office on Leadenhall Street and just stepped out to visit a client. Police road blocks prevented me from doing so and it appears that buildings on Leadenhall Street are being evacuated as far down as Creechurch Lane. There is a large crowd gathering on Leadenhall Street and mounted Police are lined up across the street. Sirens can be heard constantly through the windows.
Nick Ellis, London England

It's pretty chaotic here - police and air ambulances, the army apparently on it's way - we heard a big bang from my office - it looks fairly serious.
Cassie Brown, Russell Square, London

I was on the train that the "Bang" happened on. I must have been 2 -3 carriages down from where it originated. I would like to praise the people in my carriage and on the train as a whole for remaining calm despite the sense of fear everyone must have felt when this happened. After waiting for maybe 15 minutes or more we were rescued by emergency services and had to walk the remainder of the way down the track to Aldgate station. There was twisted metal from the train laying on the track which we had to pass as well as injured people who needed urgent medical attention. The emergency services were doing an excellent job taking care of people and their response in general was superb. Bravo to them.
Conrad Murkitt, Thrapston, Northants

I was at the station when the explosion happened. I had just arrived on the east bound circle/district line station at Liverpool Street. As usual I walked down to the far left hand side of the platform. I had only been there for a minute or two when a train pulled up on the other side platform(westbound). The doors opened and as everyone was starting to get off, I saw a few lights starting to flicker overhead and then there was an explosion on the opposite side to me, just behind the train that had just pulled in. As you can imagine there were quite a few people panicking and quite a number of people started screaming and running towards the exit. I had a quick glance behind me as I was leaving to see some smoke coming from the area where the explosion had happened. The station was evacuated fairly quickly.
Lee Rogers, UK

Luckily I got the train this morning at 07:00. A train journey which normally takes 35mins took 1 hour and 30 mins. First there was a security alert at Bank station, then all tubes were being stopped at Stockwell station due to a some kind of disruption at Balham tube station (apparently a fire on a train?) I went from North London to South on the tube directly through the affected area and got off 15 minutes before the explosion.
Jessica Maldini, London

I was on a westbound Central Line tube that was stuck underground in the Liverpool St area for quite some time. It did not stop at 2 stations (Liverpool St & Bank) and we finally managed to get to St Paul's and were told to evacuate. To me it seems too much of a coincidence that this type of incident has happened the day after London has won the Olympics.
Aaron Davis, London

I've just seen people coming out of Aldgate station covered in soot and blood; some of them clearly in shock. People are just walking off into the streets with soot and blood and their clothing and faces. Emergency services are in attendance. One man told me there had been an explosion on the Circle line and he described it as "horrible down there."
David Marsland, London

Euston underground has had a similar experience. I was about to buy my ticket when we were told to evacuate due to overcrowding of the station. Of course, one knew that this was not quite the case when streams of police ran down the pavement, piling out of vans that were stuck in traffic and heading towards the station building. I walked to my office just off Oxford Street and was told that further explosions had occurred, one on a bus - I hope to God that that report was unfounded. All I'm hearing now is the sound of emergency vehicles. It certainly doesn't sound like power surges to me.
Dave Tanner, Birmingham

I was getting off the west bound central line at Liverpool street station at about 8.50. Halfway up the escalator, I felt the stairs shake a little and then there was a cloud of smoke that shot up from underneath the stairs. The alarm went off and people went crazy and just run out of the station.
Jota Branco, London

All tube lines had been suspended due to a power surge
Michael Stevens, London
I was on the tube from Highbury and Islington on the Victoria line at about 9.05am. When I boarded the train the driver announced that Kings Cross St Pancras had been re-opened. En route, the driver made a second announcement that he had received the wrong message and that the train would not stop at KC St Pancras after all. When we got to Oxford Circus, an announcement was made that all tube lines had been suspended due to a power surge and we were "advised" to continue our journeys on land routes because it was unclear how long the delay would last. Not many people left the tube, but further messages "strongly advised" us to leave, and most did. As I walked from the station I overheard a walkie-talkie message that said something about "evacuating" the station. Outside of the station, most people we were on mobile phones to tell their workplaces they would be late, others were checking maps for bus routes. There definitely didn't seem to be any panic, but as I walked down Oxford Street (about 9.40am) there were so many sirens that people began asking others what had happened. There was definitely a sense of uneasiness that set in.
Michael Stevens, London

I got in at Liverpool Street at 8.55, just in time to be evacuated. One lady said that "there was a thump and everyone started running". Transport Police directed me to Moorgate, saying that I could get a train there - erroneously as it turned out, but I could get a bus. Staff at Moorgate said there was "a massive power failure", before locking up and going below to get people off of the trains in the tunnels. People are taking this in their stride, but when I left Moorgate, the pavements were all but gridlocked, and the buses were full to bursting point - I started my journey sitting on the stairs.
Phil Culmer, Southend on Sea

I work on Old Broad Street, just off Liverpool St. We have been instructed not to leave the building and police have cleared the immediate surrounding streets. At least no reports of any demise yet.
Savio Correia-Afonso, London UK

I boarded a southward bound Northern Line train at Euston. By the time we reached Kings Cross there were announcements asking people to evacuate the station. People on the train were advised that the train would not be stopping. This was as a result of a power surge. The guard was apologetic for the inconvenience and that further information could not be given other than to say that they would stop at the first available station. This turned out to be London Bridge. Passengers were calm and generally well humoured.
Liz Cleary-Rodriguez, London, England

I arrived at Bank station at about 08.50. At 08.54 an announcement was given over the PA system saying that the whole station was shutting down, and passengers were being urgently requested to leave the station. Judging by the queues that formed to get out, people were taking heed, although everyone behaved very calmly. However, a few people seemed to still be moving towards platforms. I had the impression they were tourists on the whole, who either didn't understand the message, or didn't have the awareness of potential risk that most of us in London now share.
Damian Griffiths, Lewisham

Our train from waterloo via Kew Bridge was delayed, we where told it was due to a suspicious package at waterloo.
Anonymous, Wimbledon

I was on the Piccadilly line when the tube just pulled out of Kings Cross around 8.45. A huge bang and the train jolted the lights went off and the carriages filled with smoke/dust. We were stuck there for 40 minutes some people we're getting desperate and kicked through a window eventually we were led down the carriages and through the tunnels on the way out. It seemed very peculiar when we were evacuated out of the station. There also seemed a lot of police around. A few people were injured and everyone covered in dust.... As I walked to work there was a huge explosion in the Russell Square Euston region...
Stuart Turner, London

I was on the Met line when it pulled into Moorgate station, all the platform and train lights were out except for the few emergency backup lights. We were told to leave the station without any explanation. Buses are packed and hundreds of people are now walking to work like walking trains.
Stephen Swan, Rayleigh, UK

Work for a passenger car company... getting phone calls from drivers all over the capital to inform us that there is zero movement!
Sean Robinson, London

I was on the train at Liverpool Street station when there was a huge bang. The train shook slightly and the lights went out. Everyone was told to hurry out of the station, but no-one was told what was happening. I walked to another station to find that too had been closed. It was actually very frightening.

It's chaos here, no-one seems to no exactly what has happened at the moment - most people seem to be turning around and heading out of town.

I was on the tube going to Aldgate East, and we were asked to vacate at Moorgate. I couldn't see any smoke or hurt people at all, and everyone was leaving the station in a very orderly and calm manner. It wasn't until we got out of the station and up to Liverpool St station that we saw all the police, which made it hit home that something was very wrong, as I have never seen that many police and that number of stations blocked off in the 8 years I have been in London.
Marc Kershaw, Letchworth, Hertfordshire

There are many fire engines and ambulances rushing past the window of my building. There are a lot of people phoning loved ones to make sure they are ok. Feels a bit like September 11th all over again here.
Amy Hinkley, London


News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia
UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature | Technology | Health
Have Your Say | In Pictures | Week at a Glance | Country Profiles | In Depth | Programmes
Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific