BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: Sport: Rugby Union
Front Page 
UK Politics 
Talking Point 
In Depth 

David Parry-Jones reports for the BBC
"This was sweet revenge for Llanelli"
 real 28k

Sunday, 21 May, 2000, 12:08 GMT 13:08 UK
Scarlets pay back All Whites
Craig Gillies
At last: Gillies claims the only try of a dull game
Llanelli 22-12 Swansea

Llanelli won rugby's Welsh Cup for the 11th time in their history when they beat Swansea at the Millennium Stadium on Saturday.

In doing so they avenged their defeat by Swansea in last year's final.

I couldn't face those final five minutes - I missed the try, but I knew we had scored when I heard the noise

Llanelli coach Gareth Jenkins
But just one try was scored - by Llanelli's Craig Gillies in the 76th minute - in a game which seldom rose above the disappointing.

The first half was a procession of penalties - the first two to Swansea fly-half Arwel Thomas - rather than an exercise in free fast-flowing rugby.

Paul Moriarty makes a break for Swansea
There were two sin binnings - but Swansea were unable to take advantage of the first when Robin MvcBryde was sent to the sidelines.

The same generosity was not shown by Llanelli, though, when Garin Jenkins followed his fellow hooker for a 10-minute breather.

Stephen Jones's kicks during his absence pulled Llanelli back into the contest, cutting Swansea's lead to 9-6 at half time.

Comedy of errors

Neither side was able to keep hold of the ball let alone set up many worthwhile attacks.

Chris Wyatt claims the ball for Llanelli
One half break by Salesi Finau led to the penalty which allowed Jones to level matters - and another put Llanelli ahead for the first time.

But the general standard was summed up by the comedy of errors that should have seen Llanelli score the opening try.

When it did come, it ended with a mix-up - handing the five points to Craig Gillies on a plate.

With just four minutes left, replacement Mark Jones, on for centre Neil Boobyer, caused chaos in the Swansea defence for a second time.

It is never nice to lose a final, but we came up against quality opposition today

Swansea coach John Plumtree
And when the All Whites failed to clear the danger, England A forward Gillies was on hand to dive over and at last end the try-scoring drought.

Paul Moriary exited to the bin for fighting and for the 11th time in the cup, Llanelli were the winners.


Llanelli: Cardey, Proctor, James, N. Boobyer, Finau, S. Jones, Moon, Booth, McBryde, J. Davies, Wyatt, C. Gillies, Easterby, I. Boobyer, Quinnell.
Replacements: Madden, M. Thomas, Cooper, I. Jones, Horgan, Evans, M. Jones.

Swansea: K. Morgan, Rees, Taylor, Gibbs, Payne, A. Thomas, R. Jones, Morris, Jenkins, B. Evans, Maullin, Moore, Moriarty, Charvis, L. Jones.
Replacements: Booth, Lawson, D. Weatherley, Wells, Anthony, J. Griffiths, D. Thomas.

Referee: N Whitehouse (Welsh RFU)

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
See also:

18 May 00 | Rugby Union
Saints suffer Dawson blow
18 May 00 | Rugby Union
Welsh exiles return home
17 May 00 | Rugby Union
Saracens closer to Europe
17 May 00 | Rugby Union
Wasps hit by lively Exiles
17 May 00 | Rugby Union
'Grannygate' comes to a close
Internet links:

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites