Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education

Front Page



UK Politics







Talking Point

In Depth

On Air

Low Graphics

Saturday, November 13, 1999 Published at 20:07 GMT

Sport: Rugby Union

All-whites fall to Jenkins points haul

Welsh fly-half Neil Jenkins made a fine debut for his new club

Swansea 25-34 Cardiff

Nineteen points from Welsh fly-half Neil Jenkins helped his new club Cardiff to a hard-earned Welsh-Scottish League victory over Swansea on Saturday.

Jenkins was prominent as Cardiff opened up a 24-9 lead at the interval, with a try from centre Gareth Thomas highlighting Cardiff's dominance early on.

But Cardiff then had to endure a concerted comeback from the All Whites after the break.

That began after just 90 seconds of the second half when Wales lock Andy Moore scored a try which was converted by Arwel Thomas, who had supplied his side's three first-half penalties.

Although Jenkins slotted over a fourth penalty, it was all Swansea over the next 20 minutes during which time Thomas kicked three more penalties.

Cardiff managed to hold on despite just being two points ahead - and in injury time they scored a third try when Simon Hill nipped in for Paul Jenkins to convert.

Llanelli 37-9 Edinburgh Reivers

Llanelli kicked their way to a handsome victory over Edinburgh Reivers, despite numerous handling errors from both sides.

There were just three tries - one early and two late - sandwiching plenty of mediocrity in between.

The first was scored by Llanelli flanker Ian Boobyer midway through the first half after his back row colleague Hywel Jenkins had pinched an Edinburgh line-out throw just yards from the line.

Fly-half Stephen Jones converted, to add to his opening penalty goal in the first minute - and he quickly proceeded to dominate the scoring, adding five more penalties as the error count mounted.

A drop goal from Chris Paterson kept Edinburgh in the hunt briefly before Jones added his second penalty to put his side 13-3 ahead at the turnaround.

Then the penalty awards came thick and fast. In the first 13 minutes of the second half Jones landed three more goals and Edinburgh's Duncan Hodge two.

Jones went on to collect another before replacement fly-half Craig Warlow and Chris Wyatt bagged tries, one of which Jones converted.

Dunvant 13-46 Newport

Wales full-back Shane Howarth turned on the style with a virtuoso individual display to help resurgent Newport put struggling Dunvant to the sword in the Welsh-Scottish League.

The classy Kiwi-turned-Wales hero continued where he had finished off for his country in the World Cup by claiming 24 points in only his second game in Newport colours.

From the moment former Super 12 centre Andy Marinos crossed in the eighth minute there was only one side in the match.

Howarth used his blistering pace to burst clear for his first try and then had the simple task of crossing from a blindside scrum for his second on the stroke of half-time.

Dunvant, always on the back foot, had only a penalty by fly-half Simon Daniel to show for their efforts as they were outplayed for much of the game.

The second half was a similar story, Newport enjoying all the early territory and possession.

Marinos, celebrating his 27th birthday, burst through some weak Dunvant tackling for his second try of the afternoon after Daniel had opened the second half with his side's second penalty.

Then further pressure saw right-wing Neil McKim squeeze over.

Dunvant refused to throw in the towel and hit back with a late consolation score by captain Warren Lloyd.

Ebbw Vale 26-18 Bridgend

An injury-time try by flanker Brad Clark finally settled this Welsh-Scottish League match after they had trailed Bridgend for most of the match.

Clark charged down an attempted clearance by Bridgend full-back Adrian Durston inside his own 22 and chased the ball over the line for the touchdown.

Vale went behind after just four minutes when Bridgend hooker Chris Ferris was driven over for a try following a line-out and Vale had to play catch-up rugby up until the 70th minute when Jason Strange put them ahead for the first time in the match with a penalty from 30 metres.

Ferris' early try was countered when wing Stephen John went over in the corner after Ebbw Vale had moved the ball wide.

But their score was short-lived when Paul Williams landed a 12th minute penalty to put Bridgend back in the lead.

Midway through the first half Ferris was again driven over by his fellow forwards following another line-out for his second try which Paul Williams converted.

Before the interval Strange and Williams exchanged penalties and then five minutes before the interval Jonathan Hawker charged the ball down and raced over under the posts for Strange to convert.

Strange landed two second-half penalties, on 44 and 70 minutes, before Clark made sure of the points with a late try.

Pontypridd 61-14 Caerphilly

Leaders Pontypridd bounced back on the winning trail in the Welsh-Scottish League in grand style with a massive win over Caerphilly.

In a keenly contested first half Pontypridd started at a cracking pace, storming into the lead in the first minute with a try from wing, Gareth Wyatt after a length of the field handling move by the backs and the forwards.

As the half developed, despite Ponty being far stronger in the tight, Caerphilly went on the attack and after pressure, Chris John slotted over a 24-metre goal.

In the 25th minute Lee Jarvis increased Ponty's lead with a penalty in front of the posts and minutes later Ponty struck again, Jarvis switching to the blind side to link with Matthew Lloyd, who let in Richard Field at the corner.

Pontypridd running the ball with purpose and pace added another try from wing Lenny Woodward before Chris John kicked his second penalty for the visitors right on the interval.

The home side began the second period with a bang. Hooker Feao Vunipola crashing over under the posts for a try in the first minute that Lee Jarvis converted.

Battling Caerphilly hit back with a third Chris John penalty but Lee Jarvis responded with a similar score.

Woodward crossed for his second touchdown but minutes later, prop Nalu Tau then powered over with Brett Davey converting.

In the closing stages Ponty finished with a flourish adding more tries through Gareth Williams, Gareth Wyatt and Christian Loader all converted by Davey. For Caerphilly, Justin Hughes gained a consolation try.

Advanced options | Search tips

Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage |

Rugby Union Contents

In this section

Quins fightback shocks Cardiff

European Cup starts with a bang

Cooke blasts RFU 'puppets'

The wizards of Oz

Aussies given Jones-Hughes ultimatum

Woodward stays in England role

Skrela steps down as French coach

Gloucester face west-country clash

Gloucester stun expectant Sarries

Countdown to Europe

Lomu staying with All Blacks

Bath embarrass Newcastle

Quins scrape late win

All-whites fall to Jenkins points haul

Same old problem for Joost

Wasps reject Saracens bid

Rugby chiefs opt for fresh start

Wage cap threatens Lomu signing

Horan invited back to Cardiff

Aussies crowned world champions

Sarries swat Wasps to go top

Rugby World Cup: Must try harder

Quins steal Irish thunder

Horan named top World Cup player

Bedford go down fighting