Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education

Front Page



UK Politics







Talking Point

In Depth

On Air

Low Graphics

Sunday, November 7, 1999 Published at 19:35 GMT

Sport: Rugby Union

Quins steal Irish thunder

Chris Sheasby: Scored the winning try

London Irish 16-17 Harlequins

Harlequins scored a stoppage time try to win a thrilling encounter with London Irish at the Stoop by a single well-deserved point.

It was a testing confrontation that derived its excitement as much from mistakes as the brilliance of the play.

The Exiles looked to have the match sewn up going into the interval, with star fly-half Stephen Bachop calling all the shots and the momentum clearly moving their way.

Cunningham on song

But the visitors who came out for the second half with the greater intent, stifling the much-vaunted Irish backline - despite losing centre Will Carling to gastric 'flu - and confining the home side to their own 22 for the last 10 minutes.

The pressure was converted into points with a minute to go, as Chris Sheasby was driven over for the deciding try.

Rob Liley gave Quins an early 6-0 advantage with two well-taken penalties during a scrappy opening passage of play.

Irish soon established control, however, with Bachop sending tumbling kicks deep into Quins' territory. Jarrod Cunningham slotted two penalties in reply to level the scores at 6-6.

The first try came when the Samoan fly-half exhibited his vision by floating a 30-yard pass into space for Connor O'Shea to latch onto. The Irish fullback outstripped Harlequins' flailing defence, then delivered a pass inside to Cunningham before collecting again to slide over in the corner.

The wing put the conversion over and added a penalty to establish a solid 10-point lead.

Liley drillled over two more penalties either side of half time to pull his side to within four points.

The rest of the half was a fascinating duel of attack and counterattack, with Peter Richards denying Irish their one clear chance of a second try by intercepting Bachop's pass on the Quins tryline and running the ball out of trouble.

Harlequins stuck grimly to their task despite often desperate defensive scrambling. With 80 minutes on the clock, they chose to kick a penalty into touch by the corner flag and drove the subsequent lineout over the Exiles' line for the Sheasby try.


London Irish : O'Shea, Bishop, Whetstone, Todd, Cunningham, Bachop, Putt, N Hatley, Howe, Fullman, Strudwick, Harvey, Boer, Dawson, Gabey.
Replacements : S Hatley, Horak, Flavin, Mower, Halford, Galacher, Worsley.

Harlequins: O'Leary, Keyter, Mensah, Carling, Dallow, Liley, Richards, Leonard, Ridgway, Graham, Morgan, White-Cooper, Jenkins, Sanderson, Sheasby.
Replacements : Harries, Llewellyn, Murphy, Nepia, Leach, Officer, Rees.

Referee : C Rees (RFU)

Advanced options | Search tips

Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage |

Rugby Union Contents

In this section

Quins fightback shocks Cardiff

European Cup starts with a bang

Cooke blasts RFU 'puppets'

The wizards of Oz

Aussies given Jones-Hughes ultimatum

Woodward stays in England role

Skrela steps down as French coach

Gloucester face west-country clash

Gloucester stun expectant Sarries

Countdown to Europe

Lomu staying with All Blacks

Bath embarrass Newcastle

Quins scrape late win

All-whites fall to Jenkins points haul

Same old problem for Joost

Wasps reject Saracens bid

Rugby chiefs opt for fresh start

Wage cap threatens Lomu signing

Horan invited back to Cardiff

Aussies crowned world champions

Sarries swat Wasps to go top

Rugby World Cup: Must try harder

Quins steal Irish thunder

Horan named top World Cup player

Bedford go down fighting