BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: Sport: Football: Scottish Premier
Front Page 
UK Politics 
Talking Point 
In Depth 

The BBC's Roddy Forsyth
"Rangers' title all but in theory"
 real 28k

Saturday, 15 April, 2000, 18:28 GMT 19:28 UK
Rangers made to wait

Dundee United 0-2 Rangers

Rangers were made to wait another week in their bid to lift the Scottish Premier title, despite winning 2-0 away to Dundee United.

Celtic drew with Dundee at home to deny the Gers from retaining their league crown.

A left-footed drive from Barry Ferguson and a trademark volley from German Jorg Albertz ended United's challenge at Tannidice.

The visitors' first threat came in the seventh minute when Claudio Reyna played in Rod Wallace for a first-time angled drive which drifted narrowly wide.

Alan Combe fumbled a long range effort from Albertz, grasping the ball at the second attempt, while Ferguson went close from 20 yards after being fed by the busy Reyna.

Moments later, another chance was spurned when a De Vos long throw was missed by the Rangers backline only for David Hannah to make a weak connection from point blank range enabling Klos to save.

United were punished for that let-off after 22 minutes when Reyna's inside pass picked out Ferguson who strode forward confidently before stroking it past Combe.

Rangers take control

The goal seemed to give Rangers confidence and Combe was forced into more action when Billy Dodds met a Van Bronckhorst cross with his head.

After 42 minutes, Rangers doubled their advantage with a stylishly-worked goal, Reyna instigating the move by releasing Andrei Kanchelskis on the right flank.

The Russian winger's low cross was drilled home via a fine half-volley from Albertz to make it 2-0, the only bad news for Rangers being that Celtic were by now 2-1 ahead against Dundee.

Rangers made a change on 55 minutes bringing on Seb Rozental for Dodds, while United responded by taking off Tassos Venetis and introducing Jan Telesnikov.

Kanchelskis has emerged as Rangers' form player of late and he came close to making it 3-0 after 62 minutes when he cut inside from the right only for his shot to find the side-netting.

There was an increasingly lifeless feel to the game as all attention turned to Parkhead where the score was now tied at 2-2 between Celtic and Dundee - but it remained that way.

It had proved an uneventful second half with victory on the day for Rangers a formality by the break. Victory over the season could well be merely a week away at McDiarmid Park.


Dundee Utd: Combe, McQuillan, De Vos, Patterson, Malpas, Partridge, Hannah, Venetis, S. McCulloch, McConalogue, Hamilton. Subs: Gallacher, Pascual, Mathie, Telesnikov, Thompson.

Rangers: Klos, Reyna, Wilson, Amoruso, Numan, Kanchelskis, Ferguson, Van Bronckhorst, Albertz, Ross, Dodds. Subs: Brown, Rozental, McCann, Tugay, Malcolm.

Referee: Hugh Dallas (Scotland)

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
See also:

15 Apr 00 | Scottish Premier
Jackson wraps up Hearts win
15 Apr 00 | Scottish Premier
Dundee saved by Gould error
15 Apr 00 | Scottish Premier
Hibs leave it late
Links to other Scottish Premier stories are at the foot of the page.