BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: Sport: Football: Scottish Premier
Front Page 
UK Politics 
Talking Point 
In Depth 

Roddy Forsyth reports
"Sasa Curcic has caused much mirth in Scotland"
 real 28k

Saturday, 18 March, 2000, 19:09 GMT
Rangers six gives them dozen

Hat-trick scorer Wallace is denied possession by
Rangers 6-2 Motherwell

Rangers moved 12 points clear at the head of the Scottish Premier League as Rod Wallace scored a hat-trick.

The visitors actually took an 18th minute lead but by half time were 4-2 down.

Goal times
18: Kemble unmarked at corner
20: Wallace makes sure from Amoruso header
29: Rozental penalty
35: Albertz sidestep and drive
41: McCulloch offers hope
42: Wallace promptly extinguishes it
70: Hat-trick for striker from another McCann cross
90: Tugay's first Ibrox goal from the spot
Wallace then sealed his third goal 20 minutes from the end before a second penalty was converted by Tugay Kerimoglu in injury time.

Motherwell offered a debut to former Bolton, Aston Villa and Crystal Palace midfielder Sasa Curcic.

The Yugoslav forced Stefan Klos to tip over and concede the goal from which the visitors opened the scoring.

Benito Kemble was unmarked to head home Kevin Twaddle's kick, and the setback roused Rangers into action.

Three headers set up Wallace's equaliser with Giovanni Van Bronckhorst directing towards Lorenzo Amoruso, whose effort was going in anyway before the striker's touch.

Advocaat made an early tactical switch on 26 minutes with Andrei Kanchelskis replaced by Neil McCann on the opposite flank.

And Rangers moved ahead when Sebastian Rozental scored a penalty following Ged Brannan's handball.

Rangers' third goal in 15 minutes came when Jorg Albertz switched feet cleverly from a Craig Moore cross to shoot low past Goram.

But Curcic's trickery was still unsettling the home side and Pat Nevin was then introduced for the injured Twaddle on 41 minutes.

Within moments, Motherwell had pulled it back to 3-2 when Stephen McMillan's free-kick was headed in by an acrobatic Lee McCulloch.

Rangers' response was ruthless as McCann streaked clear on the left for Wallace to net at the far post with a looping header.

Rozental was replaced by Billy Dodds at the break before McCulloch was denied a second goal by a linesman's flag.

And after 71 minutes, Rangers eased any lingering fears by extending their advantage as another searching McCann cross was headed in smartly by Wallace.

Rangers had claims for a penalty refused after 83 minutes when Martin Corrigan appeared to bring down McCann.

But there was no doubt when Jamie McGowan handled yet another McCann cross in injury time.

This time it was Turkish international Tugay who stepped up to drill in his first Ibrox goal.


Rangers: Klos, Moore, Amoruso, Wilson, Kanchelskis, Ferguson, Van Bronckhorst, Albertz, Tugay, Rozental, Wallace. Subs: McCann, Nicholson, Penttila, Brown, Dodds.

Motherwell: Goram, Corrigan, Kemble, McGowan, McMillan, Brannan, Valakari, Curcic, Twaddle, Adams, McCulloch. Subs: Woods, Nicholas, Nevin, Hammell, Strong.

Referee: John Rowbotham (Scotland)

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
See also:

18 Mar 00 | Scottish Premier
Hibs triumph in Edinburgh derby
18 Mar 00 | Scottish Premier
Little cheer for former Euro contenders
17 Mar 00 | Football
Leighton ready for Hampden return
15 Mar 00 | Scottish Premier
McSwegan heads Hearts home
15 Mar 00 | Scottish Premier
Last-gasp United break Killie hearts
12 Mar 00 | Scottish Premier
Rangers preserve double dream
Links to other Scottish Premier stories are at the foot of the page.