Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: Sport: Football: Scottish Premier
Front Page 
UK Politics 
Rugby Union 
Rugby League 
Talking Point 
In Depth 

The BBC's Roddy Forsyth
"Rangers began to emerge from thier self-imposed cocoon"
 real 28k

Wednesday, 8 March, 2000, 21:57 GMT
Rangers leave Celtic reeling
Stephane Mahe (right) provided Vidmar with a perfect opportunity
Celtic 0-1 Rangers

Rangers moved 12 points clear at the top of the Scottish Premier League, after defeating Celtic in a tense encounter at Parkhead.

Despite clearly dominating for 75 minutes, Celtic were unable to find the all-important goal and as the minutes ticked away they were always liable to fall behind against the run of play.

After missing the penalty, we would have settled for a draw.

Rangers boss Dick Advocaat
Rangers can thank Rod Wallace for the points after a piece of brilliance from the Englishman saw him round Gould in the dying seconds to poke the ball into the net.

It stunned the home side, particularly after Gould had earlier denied Albertz from the penalty spot.

But Celtic can have few complaints. They failed to convert a number of clear chances and should have hit the net early in the opening half.

Golden chance

Viduka missed a golden chance in the 10th minute, after a Mahe cross that left the striker alone in the box.

With only Klos to beat, the Australian started his celebrations early, but the 'keepers outstretched foot denied the home side what looked a certain opening goal.

There is disappointment with the result, but there's no disappointment in the way the players went about their work.

Celtic manager Kenny Dalglish
With Rangers leaving huge holes at the back, the barrage continued. On 15 minutes, Jackie McNamara beat Barry Ferguson to the ball wide on the right.

Again, however, he lacked support and another cross went begging.

Viduka should have put Celtic ahead on the half-hour, after beating the Rangers defence for pace. But with the ball sticking on a rain-sodden surface, Craig Moore denied the home side with a perfectly timed tackle inside the area.

Celtic were dominating the match, seemingly at will. Rangers, in contrast, failed to notch up a single shot at goal in the opening half.

Pressure mounts

After the break, Celtic continued where they had left off, dominating in midfield and pushing up at every opportunity.

But, after so many missed chances, there was always a possibility Rangers would steal an unlikely lead.

We still have 12 games to play, but a win away - especially at Celtic - is vital for the fans.

Dick Advocaat
And it could easily have come in the 68th minute, had Boyd not rescued Gould from a one-on-one with Wallace.

Rangers looked a tighter outfit in the second period, but Celtic again pressed on.

Viduka hit the back of the net in the 75th, but it was ruled out by the linesman for handball.

Seconds later, Klos palmed away a point-blank header from Wieghorst, before denying Viduka at the near-post.

In a dramatic finale, the late chances went to Rangers, however, after McCann was brought down in the area for a clear penalty.

Rangers battled well to pull off a late win
Celtic looked shattered, until, that is, Gould pulled off a remarkable save to deny Albertz.

The Parkhead faithful breathed a collective sigh of relief, but it did not last long.

With just seconds remaining, Wallace rounded Gould after a remarkable charge down the right flank.

Despite being crowded by a multitude of Celtic shirts, he managed to poke the ball into the back of the net.


Celtic: Gould, Riseth, Boyd, Stubbs, Mjallby, McNamara, Petrov, Wieghorst, Mahe, Moravcik, Viduka. Subs: Kerr, Berkovic, Burchill, Rafael, Blinker.

Rangers: Klos, Moore, Amoruso, Numan, Ferguson, Van Bronckhorst, Wallace, Albertz, Reyna, Vidmar, McCann. Subs: Brown, Kanchelskis, Rozental, Nicholson, Kerimoglu.

Referee: Jim McCluskey (Scotland)
Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
See also:

07 Mar 00 |  Scottish Premier
Larsson misses Old Firm return
05 Mar 00 |  Scottish Premier
Celtic blow it again
04 Mar 00 |  Scottish Premier
Rangers dip down to earth
04 Mar 00 |  Scottish Premier
Motherwell come good
04 Mar 00 |  Scottish Premier
Late comeback keeps Dundee afloat
04 Mar 00 |  Scottish Premier
Cameron on the spot
01 Mar 00 |  Scottish Premier
Super Tommy's treble
01 Mar 00 |  Scottish Premier
More Fir Park misery
01 Mar 00 |  Football
Caley dream dies at Pittodrie
Links to other Scottish Premier stories are at the foot of the page.