Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: Sport: Football: Scottish Premier
Front Page 
UK Politics 
Rugby Union 
Rugby League 
Talking Point 
In Depth 

The BBC's Roddy Forsyth
"It looks as if the keeper might be on his way out of Parkhead"
 real 28k

Saturday, 12 February, 2000, 18:45 GMT
Dens Park relief for Dalglish

Mjalby Johan Mjalby is ecstatic after the scoring the opener

Dundee 0-3 Celtic

Celtic bounced back from their midweek Scottish Cup disaster against Inverness to record an impressive away win at Dundee.

The visitors had suffered one of the most traumatic weeks in the club's history and it took them until the 66th minute before Johan Mjalby opened the scoring with a scrambled goal.

Match facts
60 mins: Orange ball introduced
67 mins:Mjalby scrambles in first goal
71 mins: Viduka scores wonder goal from 20 yards
83 mins: Substitute Healy scores debut goal
Australian Mark Viduka added the second while substitute Colin Healy settled the outcome with his first goal for the club, seven minutes from time.

Interim manager Kenny Dalglish replaced half of the first team that played against Inverness last week, which included goalkeeper Jonathan Gould, who did not even feature on the bench.

Russian 'keeper Dmitri Kharine had been drafted in and team were lucky not to go a goal behind in the first few minutes, when striker Willie Falconer struck wide after good work from Steven Boyack.

Dundee seized on their early advantage and were again unlucky not to score when youngster Graham Bayne saw his shot, deflected, and then go agonisingly past the post, after more sterling work from Boyack.

I would think right here and now it won't be myself who'll be manager. While I'm here doing the job I will do the very best I possibly can. I still believe the quality of the person is more important than time and the search will go on.
Kenny Dalglish
Blizzard conditions at Dens Park called for the orange ball to come into play after 60 minutes, seven minutes later the Bhoys took the lead.

Celtic's Lubomir Moravcik crossed from the left and found Stephane Mahe, who flicked the ball into a group of players, but to the delight of the away fans it was Mjalby who found the killer touch.

Four minutes later Celtic went two goals ahead, with a wonderfully crafted goal from Viduka.

The Celtic striker cut inside the Dundee defence before unleashing an unstoppable 20-yard shot past 'keeper Rab Douglas.

The final word went to the young substitute Healy, who with seven minutes left on the clock, found the composure to lob the ball past Douglas and gave the travelling support something to cheer about after a torrid week.


Dundee: Douglas, Smith, Tweed, Wilkie, Ireland, Boyack, Rae, Robertson, McSkimming, Falconer, Bayne. Subs: Langfield, Annand, Grady, Sharp, Van Eijs.

Celtic: Kharine, McNamara, Stubbs, Boyd, Mahe, Wieghorst, Riseth, Mjallby, Moravcik, Wright, Viduka. Subs: Kerr, Berkovic, Tebily, Healy, Burchill.

Referee: Bobby Orr (Scotland)

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console

See also:
12 Feb 00 |  Scottish Premier
Killie freefall at Rugby Park
12 Feb 00 |  Scottish Premier
Saints and Hibs face replay
12 Feb 00 |  FA Carling Premiership
Magpies crush Man Utd
12 Feb 00 |  FA Carling Premiership
Kewell beauty wins ugly contest
12 Feb 00 |  FA Carling Premiership
Hammers win nine-goal epic
12 Feb 00 |  FA Carling Premiership
Sky Blues seal Highfield thriller
12 Feb 00 |  FA Carling Premiership
Blues close the gap
12 Feb 00 |  FA Carling Premiership
Rams leave it too late
12 Feb 00 |  FA Carling Premiership
Black day for Wednesday
Links to other Scottish Premier stories are at the foot of the page.