Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: Sport: Football: Scottish Premier
Front Page 
UK Politics 
Rugby League 
Rugby Union 
Formula 1 
Talking Point 
In Depth 

The BBC's Roddy Forsyth
"They had it wrapped up a minute after half time"
 real 28k

Sunday, 21 November, 1999, 12:44 GMT
Albertz at his fiercest

Rangers 2-0 Hibernian

Jorg Albertz produced one of his most powerful free kicks to seal weakened Rangers a win at home to Hibernian.

The second half strike followed Jonatan Johansson's opener before the break, and Dick Advocaat's weakened side was were much too quick and powerful for visitors.

Fourth-choice keeper Mark Brown made only his second appearance of the season for Rangers and chalked up his second clean sheet.

Stefan Klos and Lionel Charbonnier were both injured while Antti Niemi is on loan to Charlton.

Rangers were also without Scotland duo Barry Ferguson and Colin Hendry as well as Italian defender Sergio Porrini.

The Ibrox side made a bright start with Albertz firing the first warning shot in the 11th minute, blasting a 20-yard shot over the bar after Gabriel Amato had cut the ball back.

The visitors went into the match with three successive victories behind them and almost grabbed the lead after 17 minutes.

Russell Latapy's delicate chip from Frank Sauzee's pass drifted marginally wide of the target.

Flowing move for Finn

But after Neil McCann squandered a glorious chance six minutes later the Gers made the breakthrough in the 34th minute with a glorious flowing move.

Albertz fed McCann with a delightful pass and his cross was precise for Johansson to power home his eighth goal of the season.

The Finland striker should probably have completed a hat-trick in the space of 60 first half seconds but squandered both chances.

And a mistake by skipper Lorenzo Amoruso almost threw Hibs a lifeline as Latapy latched onto his poor clearance and played it into the path of Smith, who scuffed a shot wide.

Rangers needed only one minute of the second half to extend their lead and leave the visitors facing an uphill struggle.

Stunner from the Hammer

Keeper Colgan was left rooted to the spot when Albertz fired in a stunning free-kick from the edge of the area after Smith had blocked Amato's run into the area.

Rangers were looking very comfortable but Albertz and McCann were both wasteful in quick succession.

And Hibernian successfully managed what by now had become a damage limitation exercise even though Rangers had the majority of possession.


Rangers: Brown, Adamczuk, Moore, Amoruso, Numan, Van Bronckhorst, Albertz, Reyna, Amato, McCann, Johansson. Subs: Wallace, Wilson, Nicholson, Carson, Smith.

Hibernian: Colgan, Collins, Sauzee, Latapy, McGinlay, Hartley, Smith, Dempsie, Jack, Miller, Brebner. Subs: Gottskalksson, Paatelainen, Lehmann, Dennis, Henry.

Referee: Bobby Orr (Scotland)
Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console

See also:
20 Nov 99 |  Scottish Premier
Wastefull Killie pay the price
21 Nov 99 |  Scottish Premier
Thirtysomethings break ten-man Hearts
20 Nov 99 |  Scottish Premier
McCulloch the man for Motherwell
19 Nov 99 |  Scottish Premier
Scots seek hangover cure
Links to other Scottish Premier stories are at the foot of the page.