Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepgaelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: Sport: Football: Scottish Premier
Front Page 
UK Politics 
Rugby World Cup 
Rugby League 
Rugby Union 
Formula 1 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
Sunday, 21 November, 1999, 12:43 GMT
Thirtysomethings break ten-man Hearts

Hearts 1-2 Celtic

Colin Cameron opened the scoring for the home side but was then sent off as Celtic came from behind at Tynecastle.

The Edinburgh outfit stunned Celtic after only three minutes as Cameron to tapped in against a makeshift defence.

But after 59 minutes the Scotland squad member clashed off the ball with Johan Mjallby and was instantly dismissed.

With him went Hearts' superiority as Ian Wright scored a 71st-minute euqliser and Lubomir Moravcik produced a 25-yard individual effot worthy of winning any game.

Head coach John Barnes had been forced into a series of changes with Mark Viduka, Paul Lambert and Craig Burley all missing means rare starts for Mark Burchill and Stilian Petrov.

Stephane Mahe returned for the first time in more than two months after recovering from injury.

Hearts manager Jim Jefferies dropped former Parkhead hero Darren Jackson with Rob McKinnon earning a surprise recall while Scotland forward Gary McSwegan was passed fit.


Celtic were almost gifted the lead after 40 seconds when a weak Gary Naysmith back-pass played in Burchill, but Rousset saved the youngster's snap shot with his legs.

That miss was punished on just three minutes when McSwegan was given time and space on the right to measure a low cross which Cameron converted from close range to put Hearts ahead.

The goal exposed Celtic's reorganised central defence which had utility man Vidar Riseth replacing Olivier Tebily who is on international duty with the Ivory Coast.

After eight minutes, Hearts almost doubled their lead when Stevie Fulton's free-kick was flicked wide by the head of McSwegan.

Austrian Thomas Flogel also fired wide and McSwegan, McKinnon and Cameron all wasted first half openings.

A clever exchange of passes with Eyal Berkovic let in Moravcik, whose shot was far too weak.


Celtic tempers were fraying, and Mjallby and Petrov were booked before Flogel went the same way, and Berkovic followed for protesting.

Worse was to follow for Hearts with Cameron clashing in an off-the-ball incident with Mjallby spotted by referee Mike McCurry.

Celtic should have levelled after 64 minutes when Mahe's cross picked out Burchill at the near post, but he headed over from close range.

They finally did so after 71 minutes when the ball broke to Wright at the edge of the area and his powerful strike took a slight deflection to defeat Rousset.

Burchill wasted a chance for a second minutes later, while McKinnon's cross drifted goalwards until tipped over by Gould.

Then in the 89th minute Celtic's comeback was complete, Moravcik cutting inside with purpose and producing a magnificent long range strike to steal the points at the last in style.


Hearts: Rousset, Locke, Pressley, Ritchie, Naysmith, Flogel, Cameron, Severin, Fulton, McKinnon, McSwegan. Subs: McKenzie, Jackson, Makel, Juanjo, Leclercq.

Celtic: Gould, McNamara, Riseth, Stubbs, Mahe, Mjallby, Petrov, Berkovic, Moravcik, Wright, Burchill. Subs: Kerr, Brattbakk, Petta, Blinker, Wieghorst.

Referee: Michael McCurry (Scotland
Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console

See also:
20 Nov 99 |  Scottish Premier
Wastefull Killie pay the price
20 Nov 99 |  Scottish Premier
McCulloch the man for Motherwell
21 Nov 99 |  Scottish Premier
Albertz at his fiercest
19 Nov 99 |  Scottish Premier
Scots seek hangover cure
Links to other Scottish Premier stories are at the foot of the page.