Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: Sport: Football: FA Cup
Front Page 
UK Politics 
Rugby Union 
Rugby League 
Talking Point 
In Depth 

The BBC's Alan Green
"This was wonderful especially in the second half"
 real 28k

Saturday, 19 February, 2000, 16:52 GMT
Bolton heroics burst Charlton bubble

Bob Taylor and Steve Brown battle for the ball

Bolton 1-0 Charlton

Bolton striker Eidur Gudjohnsen continued his record of scoring in every round of the cup as Charlton's 11-game winning streak was ended by 10-man Wanderers.

Wanderers' other hero was Finnish goalkeeper Jussi Jaaskelainen who made a stunning double save in the closing stages.

Dean Holden was sent off for an off-the-ball incident within a minute of Gudjohnsen's 47th-minute goal after the home side had dominated the opening half.

What a game to come, watch and be involved in - the whole of the 90 minutes had something
Bolton boss Sam Allerdyce
The extra man gave Charlton more possession in the second half, but Bolton weathered the storm to book their semi-final place.

The home side made four changes, including Mark Fish's return from the African Cup of Nations.

But despite the disruption it was Wanderers and not Athletic who looked like the team which had won 11 games in a row.

Woodwork struck early

Gudjohnsen skimmed the crossbar from 20 yards after just 30 seconds, before Robbie Elliott prodded the ball against the post from close range in the 13th minute.

We've had a great run but it's come to an end and I think we can be happy we're still in a great position in the league
Charlton boss Alan Curbishley
Holden was fortunate to escape a booking when he chopped down John Robinson and referee Graham Poll felt a free-kick was sufficient punishment - on this occasion.

Charlton left-back Chris Powell had to be alert on three occasions to save his side from going behind.

Elliott also released the recalled Bob Taylor with a delightful backheel only for the striker to take the ball too wide before his shot was saved by Dean Kiely.

The second half began in the most dramatic fashion as Bolton took the lead, Holden was sent off and Charlton wasted a glorious chance.

Goal, red card, fightback

In the 47th minute Gudjohnsen latched onto Michael Johansen's right-sided through ball into the area.

The Icelander fired a beautiful shot into the opposite top corner with Kiley beaten by both ferocity and accuracy.

Key moments
1st min: Gudjohnsen skims crossbar
13: Elliot hits post
47: Gudjohnsen angles shot home
48: Holden is off after alleged head-butt
90 mins: One of the saves of the season from Jaaskelainen,
The Bolton fans' celebrations turned to anger and boos within a minute as referee Poll stopped the game and showed the red card to Holden.

The offence was certainly away from the ball, and apparently a head-butt which few in the confused crowd had seen.

As Bolton adjusted with a substitution to cover for the right-back's enforced absence, Charlton turned the game on its head.

Pringle was guilty of a mishit for within seconds of the red card, and the pressure was on Jaaskelainen and his defenders.

The Finnish keeper pushed aside Robinson's drive from the edge of the area ten minutes into the half, and Bolton had to scramble clear after Richard Rufus' deflected header from the resulting corner.

Bolton were being pinned back well inside their own half and Mark Kinsella and former cup finalist John Salako were introduced.

Anthony Barness and the constantly-booed former Bolton centre-back Andy Todd were the defenders replaced by the midfield pair.

But Bolton's resolution was firm, and if anything Charlton looked less dangerous despite some impressive play from Kinsella.

Heroic saves

Tempers were also threatening to boil over, and Elliot was lucky to escape with only a yellow card after a late tackle on Rufus who had to limp off.

Bolton almost sealed it with a delightful move in the final ten minutes as Johansen and then Gudjohnsen offered subsitute Ricardo Gardner a clear run at Kiely.

The Jamaican fired agonisingly wide, before Charlton broke up the other end and Robinson's drive was tipped over by Jaaskelainen.

But that was nothing compared to the Finn's next piece of work.

First he denied Kinsella by tipping his long range shot onto the post.

Then as Robinson seemed certain to slot home the rebound, the Finnish keeper hooked it way while still lying across his goal-line.


Bolton: Jaaskelainen, Holden, Bergsson, Fish, Whitlow, Johansen, Jensen, Elliott, Johnston, Gudjohnsen, Taylor. Subs: Banks, Holdsworth, Gardner, Passi, Ritchie.

Charlton: Kiely, Barness, Powell, Todd, Rufus, Newton, Stuart, Robinson, Brown, Pringle, Hunt. Subs: Tiler, Kinsella, Ilic, Konchesky, Salako.

Referee: G Poll (Tring)

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console

See also:
19 Feb 00 |  FA Carling Premiership
Ricard rifles Boro to victory
18 Feb 00 |  FA Carling Premiership
A test of temperament
18 Feb 00 |  FA Cup
Blue boots or Blue glory?
18 Feb 00 |  FA Cup
Charlton put record on line
18 Feb 00 |  FA Carling Premiership
Boro need to spoil Coventry awayday
19 Feb 00 |  FA Cup
Taylor responds with romance
18 Feb 00 |  FA Cup
Shaky defence in duo's sights
18 Feb 00 |  Football
Minnows continue cup bids
Links to other FA Cup stories are at the foot of the page.