Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: Sport: Football: FA Cup
Front Page 
UK Politics 
Rugby Union 
Rugby League 
Talking Point 
In Depth 

the BBC's Ian Brown
"In the second half Gillingham took the bull by the horns"
 real 28k

Saturday, 29 January, 2000, 19:28 GMT
Owls' misery continues

Gillingham Gillingham's glorious run continues

Gillingham 3-1 Sheff Wed

Wednesday's nightmare season continued as they crashed out of the FA Cup at second division Gillingham.

The home side came from behind in 12 dramatic second half minutes after gifiting the Premiership visitors a half time lead.

Gerald Sibon gave the Owls the advantage, but during the second half the home side roared back and equalised through substitute Mark Saunders with 20 minutes to go.

Key moments
18 mins: Alexandersson wastes second chance for Owls
27: Sibon lucky to score after Bartram's error
68: Gills level thanks to Saunders
70: Thomson heads home - 0-1 has become 2-1 in two minutes
82: Famous victory sealed for Kent side
Two minutes later the lower division side from Kent were leading 2-1 through Andy Thomson.

Nick Southall sealed the shock win eight minutes from time to take the Kent side into the FA Cup quarter-finals for the first time.

Wednesday had almost made their Premiership class tell inside the opening two minutes.

Niclas Alexandersson latched onto a through ball from Gerald Sibon but fired over with only Vince Bartram to beat.

The Swedish international also had Wednesday's second good chance in the 18th minute with an angled right-foot drive which forced Bartram into a diving save low to his right.

Giant Dutchman Sibon also put a 20-yard effort was wide of the right-hand post.

Taylor Gillingham's Peter Taylor consoles Danny Wilson
The Owls were gifted the lead in the 27th minute, when Bartram spilled Gilles De Bilde's tame shot.

Barry Ashby attempted to clear, but the ball hit Sibon on the shin and rolled over the line.

Gillingham competed well from the start in a vicious wind which gave visiting keeper Pavel Srnicek problems.

But over half an hour had gone before the Czech international had to make a save - a comfortable stop after Marcus Browning's 15-yard shot.

In the first half we showed too much respect....... but in the second half it was a case of `blow it, let's get into them'
Gills boss Peter Taylor
Wednesday almost doubled their lead in the 34th minute when youngster Alan Quinn hit the post with a superb curling effort, although the linesman's flag was already up.

Gillingham improved dramatically in the second half, with Southall having a half-volley blocked by Ian Nolan, before Browning drove his shot wide.

John Hodge wasted a chance with only Srnicek to beat, and then ballooned a 20-yard effort over the bar.

Wednesday were pinned back, although a Wim Jonk drive was saved at full stretch by Bartram during one break.

Late goals win it

In the 68th minute Gillingham grabbed the equaliser they deserved when Thomson squared the ball for substitute Saunders.

I am hurt and very disappointed ........ we've got no excuses whatsoever
Owls manager Danny Wilson
He fired a first-time shot from the edge of the area past Srnicek.

Two minutes later Gillingham took the lead when Saunders turned supplier for Thomson to head home from inside the six-yard box.

And the home fans were in raptures just ten further minutes later when Southall volleyed from outside the area past a desperate dive from Srnicek.

Richard Cresswell came close to dragging Wednesday back into it late on but his shot from six yards would have cleared a goal twice the regulation height.


Gillingham: Bartram, Southall, Pennock, Ashby, Butters, Edge, Hodge, Hessenthaler, Smith, Browning, Thomson. Subs: Mitten, Nosworthy, McGlinchey, Bryant, Saunders.

Sheff Wed: Srnicek, Nolan, Atherton, Walker, Hinchcliffe, Alexandersson, Jonk, Haslam, Quinn, Sibon, De Bilde. Subs: Pressman, Rudi, Cresswell, Scott, Donnelly.

Referee: M Reed (Birmingham)

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console

See also:
29 Jan 00 |  FA Cup
Hunt caps Charlton comeback
29 Jan 00 |  FA Cup
Tranmere on target for Wembley double
29 Jan 00 |  FA Cup
Bolton hold their nerve
29 Jan 00 |  FA Cup
Toffees made to battle
28 Jan 00 |  FA Cup
Forget the past - Vialli
28 Jan 00 |  FA Cup
Tranmere looking for the double
27 Jan 00 |  FA Cup
FA Cup final rescheduled
13 Jan 00 |  Football
Tranmere ref suspended
11 Jan 00 |  FA Cup
Gills shock Bradford
18 Jan 00 |  FA Carling Premiership
Owls scrape into last 16
Links to other FA Cup stories are at the foot of the page.