Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education

Front Page



UK Politics







Talking Point

In Depth

On Air

Low Graphics

Sunday, April 11, 1999 Published at 20:34 GMT

Shearer puts Newcastle in final

Ginola was frustrated by former team-mates including Shearer

Newcastle 2-0 Tottenham (after extra time)

Alan Shearer provided the goals that give Newcastle the chance to make up for their disappinting display in last year's FA Cup final.

BBC Radio 5 Live's Ian Brown reports from Old Trafford
The England captain despatched a penalty in extra time after his international colleague Sol Cambpell handballed in the box, and then sealed it with a spectacular drive two minutes from the end of the additional half hour.

But Spurs are sure to complain about an almost identical penalty claim, when Nikos Dabizas's arm appeared to deny Campbell himself a headed chance on goal during the normal period.

Alan Shearer: "I do have some sympathy for Spurs" (BBC Radio 5 Live)
And manager George Graham may also reflect at his substitution of David Ginola, which appeared to hand the initiative to a Newcastle side who had been marginally second best until that point.

Big guns back

Both teams made a number of changes from last week's Monday night rehearsal between the two, with Ginola, Les Ferdinand, Shearer and Dietmar Hamann among the returning players.

Defender Steve Howey returned from injury for his first start since 10 March but his match lasted just half an hour before he was stretchered off and replaced by Aaron Hughes.

[ image: Ferdinand is away from Speed]
Ferdinand is away from Speed
That gave Newcastle's defence an even more youthful look with teenage right back Danny Griffin given the unenviable job of watching Ginola, although Rob Lee was brought in to help him out.

The pair stuck to their task although it was still Spurs who looked the stronger early on with Darren Anderton's long range effort being palmed away by Shay Given.

This early chance was the best opportunity offered in a typically cagey first half, with neither side willing to give much away on such an important stage.

Ian Walker did not actually have a save to make in the first half as Spurs dominated posession without providing anything clear cut of their own.

The start of the second half saw Spurs suffering a blow when Anderton limped off seconds before Campbell hit the side netting with a diving header from a free kick.

Newcastle responded with a decent cross after a run from Shearer, but Spurs cleared and the resulting corner from Norberto Solano was dreadful.

Penalty claim

A Spurs free kick five minutes later was more testing and most of the ground saw Nikos Dabizas flick the ball with his hand as Campbell waited to head another chance.

But referee Paul Durkin did not spot the offence in the box and Tottenham were denied a penalty.

Again Shearer was soon on the attack and this time he was allowed to run into the area and deliver a fierce shot which was blocked and cleared.

The game was in its best spell so far as another Newcastle attack foundered as the excellent Campbell tackled Temur Ketsbaia in the box.

With 15 minutes to go both managers threw on extra strikers in an attempt to produce the elusive goal.

Ginola brought off

Duncan Ferguson came off the bench after a long injury lay-off but George Graham sprang a bigger surprise by replacing Ginola with Steffen Iversen.

The decision was a compliment to young defender Griffin, although ironically he found himself going into the book soon after the Frenchman's departure for a challenge on Andy Sinton.

The final stages saw Ruud Gullit's side in particular taking a few chances in search of a knockout blow, but the match was destined for extra time.

That started as the 90 minutes had ended, with Newcastle finally enjoying slight supremacy.

Shearer was denied by a smart save from Walker, although a flag was up at the time, and the Spurs keeper was equally alert when turning away a Ferguson effort just seconds later.

The big Scot showed no sign of of his long absence with a powerful run and fierce shot, while even Griffin was allowed a shot on goal as he revelled in the lifting of his Ginola responsibility.


At the other end Iversen flashed an effort wide and Given almost spilled a Ferdinand shot into Chris Armstrong's path just six yards out.

The game was now a thrilling end-to-end battle, in stark contrast to the nervy start, with Newcastle now looking the more likely.

Then, two minutes into injury time, came the decisive blow.

Campbell ruined a fine day's work by handballing as he jumped in the box, and unlike the earlier Dabizas controversy, this time Durkin spotted the offence and awarded the penalty.

Shearer stepped up and stroked it to Walker's left and set Newcastle on their way to a second successive cup final.

Spurs pushed forward before the 15m striker scored a goal worthy of the price tag.

He latched on to a loose ball on the edge of the area and striking a powerful shot which nevertheless looped over Walker and just under his crossbar.

With just two minutes left the strike sent the Spurs fans heading for the exits and the Toon Army into raptures as they started to plan a second successive day out in London in May.

Newcastle: Given, Griffin, Hamann, Solano, Shearer, Lee, Barton, Ketsbaia, Speed, Howey, Dabizas. Subs: Harper, Maric, Saha, Hughes, Ferguson.

Tottenham: Walker, Carr, Freund, Anderton, Ferdinand, Armstrong, Ginola, Taricco, Campbell, Sherwood, Young. Subs: Baardsen, Nielsen, Iversen, Sinton, King.

Referee: P Durkin (Portland)

Advanced options | Search tips

Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage |