Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education

Front Page



UK Politics







Talking Point

In Depth

On Air

Low Graphics

Saturday, March 27, 1999 Published at 10:11 GMT

Ginola's gem seals semi-final spot

Les Ferdinand and Sean McClare tussle

Barnsley 0-1 Spurs

David Ginola scored a magnificent individual goal to take Spurs through to a semi-final with Newcastle after a scrappy game at Oakwell.

Simon Brotherton reports for BBC Radio 5 Live
The Frenchman's fourth goal of the season was nearly overshadowed by another controversial display from referee Mike Reed, who sent off Barnsley's Adie Moses for two bookable offences within a couple of minutes.

The home side are now left to reflect on a second successive quarter final defeat, having being knocked out by Newcastle at this stage last season.

The first action of the game came after ten minutes, with Chris Armstrong volleying wide after good work from Ginola and Stephan Carr.

George Graham: "Even the oppsition fans must admire the skill"
It was Ginola who again was at the heart of the next Tottenham move, crossing for Chris Armstrong, whose header was tipped over by Tony Bullock.

Armstrong should have put Spurs ahead from the resulting corner, after being played in on the edge of the penalty area before shooting tamely into the hands of Bullock.

Those two incidents were the most noteworthy of the first half, with neither team contributing much to the overall standard of play, which was poor.

The few flashes of true skill came, predictably from Ginola, who was involved in virtually all of Tottenham's best moves.

The second half began with a greater sense of urgency, and it was Ginola who created yet another chance for Spurs, Ramon Vega failing to make proper connection with the Frenchman's cross.

[ image: Adie Moses (left) received his marching orders]
Adie Moses (left) received his marching orders
Just as it seemed that the game was headed for a tame goaless draw, Moses received his marching orders, receiving his first yellow card for an innocuous challenge on Ginola and his second for tripping Les Ferdinand.

Armstrong then cut loose on the edge of the penalty area, but when it seemed the centre forward was about to break the deadlock, he drove his shot harmlessly wide.

Ten man Barnsley brought on Robin Van Der Laan for Sean McClare to shore up their midfield and went with just one man in attack.

As it had seemed all evening, it was Ginola that provided the decisive moment of action on 66 minutes, picking the ball up forty yards out on the left touchline, beating three defenders on his advance to the penalty area, before curling a low shot past Bullock to score one of the goals of the season.

The goal ignited the home side, who then created their best chance of the evening, Bruce Dyer heading wide from six yards.

Armstrong could have and should have settled matters just minutes later, again finding space in the penalty area, before screwing his shot yards wide.

Barnsley manager John Hendrie made another change on 75 minutes, bringing on Martin Bullock for veteran Clayton Blackmore.

With five minutes remaining, Chris Morgan cynically brought down Armstrong on the edge of the penalty area, with the Spurs striker otherwise clear on goal.

Amazingly, considering what had gone before, referee Reed brandished just a yellow card, when a red might have been more appropriate.

Hendrie then sent on Mike Sheron for the ineffectual Dyer, but his introduction was to prove insignificant.

Barnsley: T. Bullock, Eaden, De Zeeuw, Moses, Morgan, Tinkler, McClare, Blackmore, Jones, Hignett, Dyer. Subs: Sheron, M. Bullock, Van Der Laan, Leese, Appleby.
Tottenham: Walker, Carr, Campbell, Vega, Taricco, Anderton, Sherwood, Freund, Ginola, Ferdinand, Armstrong. Subs: Nielsen, Iversen, Sinton, Young, Baardsen.
Referee: M Reed (Birmingham)

Advanced options | Search tips

Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage |