BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: Sport: Football: FA Carling Premiership
Front Page 
World 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


PSV spokesman Pedro Salazar-Hewitt
"He has been training on the field for the last ten days"
 real 28k

Wednesday, 26 April, 2000, 09:10 GMT 10:10 UK
Man Utd transfer remains on hold

Ruud van Nistelrooy has returned to Holland
Ruud van Nistelrooy has flown back to Holland after a second day of tests on his injured knee.

Van Nistelrooy checked out of his Cheshire hotel and returned home on Wednesday with Manchester United insisting that they have not finished their assessment of his injury.

United's financial director David Gill, who announced on Tuesday that the 19m deal to bring the player to Old Trafford had been put on hold, said: "The player has returned to Holland, but the tests are continuing."

Man United ordered the extra checks after van Nistelrooy failed a fitness test on the knee just hours before he was due to be unveiled at a press conference as the club's new striker.



He is recovering on schedule and he has been training for one week already without any reaction and so we don't expect any more problems

PSV spokesman Pedro Salazar Hewitt
Worries surround a medial ligament injury the Dutch hitman suffered seven weeks ago and want to test his fitness before finalising the deal.

Man United have said they will announce in due course if they will press ahead with what would be a British record-breaking transfer.

PSV spokesman Pedro Salazar Hewitt claimed it was down to United to make the next move.

"I'd heard that he was coming back today, although I didn't know at what time," he said.

"It's now up to Manchester United to come out with the information and say what happens next. We are not the ones who have to say."

PSV remain confident that van Nistelrooy will prove his fitness and that the deal will be completed.

Just to make sure, the Dutch club sent their doctor Cees Rein van der Hoogenband to Manchester this morning.

Van der Hoogenband has been supervising van Nistelrooy's recovery since the Dutch international damaged his medial ligament attempting an overhead kick during a friendly match on 6 March.

PSV remain positive that the 23-year-old will be back in action next month as planned before the end of the Dutch league.

The club have also ruled out the possibility of renegotiating the fee because of the injury.

Salazar Hewitt said: "We're confident everything is going to be OK because van Nistelrooy is fine.

"He didn't have an operation on his knee so the injury is not very bad.

"He is recovering on schedule and he has been training for one week already without any reaction and so we don't expect any more problems."

"I don't know how long they will take, but the deal is done and the conditions are the same as they were before the medical as far as we're concerned.

"Now we're just waiting until everything is cleared up."

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

26 Apr 00 | Medical notes
Knee injuries
25 Apr 00 | FA Carling Premiership
Man Utd record transfer postponed
25 Apr 00 | FA Carling Premiership
Old Trafford chief in striker hint
25 Apr 00 | Football
End of season run-in
24 Apr 00 | FA Carling Premiership
Yorke double damages Blues
24 Apr 00 | FA Carling Premiership
Cole not for sale - Ferguson
23 Apr 00 | FA Carling Premiership
Sir Alex: 'Best Man Utd side ever'
Links to other FA Carling Premiership stories are at the foot of the page.