Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: Sport: Football: FA Carling Premiership
Front Page 
UK Politics 
Talking Point 
In Depth 

The BBC's Ian Brown
"Liverpool brushed aside a limp Spurs"
 real 28k

Liverpool boss Gerard Houllier
"We deserve something from this season"
 real 28k

Sunday, 9 April, 2000, 15:55 GMT 16:55 UK
Reds run Spurs ragged
Patrik Berger opens the scoring for Liverpool
Liverpool 2-0 Tottenham

Liverpool extended their unbeaten run in the Premiership to 11 matches with a comfortable 2-0 victory over Tottenham at Anfield.

Goals from Patrik Berger and Michael Owen proved too much for a poor Spurs outfit, who failed to threaten the Liverpool goal at any point.

The home side showed early promise, with Heskey beating Sol Campbell in the air, only to head straight to Ian Walker

David Thompson challenges Sol Campbell
There were few opportunities on goal, however, and though Steffen Freund and Stephen Clemence combined well in midfield for Spurs, the visitors lacked penetration.

The same could be said for Liverpool. After 15 minutes, their only chance had been wasted by Berger, who failed to control the ball on the edge of the area, after Dietmar Hamann had put him clear.

The Merseysiders looked the more likely to break the deadlock and had Chris Perry not intercepted a fine cross from Matteo, Liverpool might have stolen an early lead.

Seconds later, Perry was booked for blocking Owen on the turn and Berger came close when his free-kick was deflected inches wide of Walker's right post.

Then it was Tottenham's turn to push forward, as Walker cleared quickly down field to find Darren Anderton.

Liverpool hesitated, but George Graham's side failed to take advantage when Anderton's low cross rushed straight past the face of the goal.

We just need new blood, new additions to the playing staff. It is badly needed. And it's something we are working on for next season

Spurs boss George Graham
As half-time approached, Heskey made a good break past Campbell on the right, winning a corner in the process. But Walker met the high ball well to again clear his lines.

With so few chances, the match looked certain to go into the break deadlocked. Berger had other ideas, however.

David Thompson headed on just outside the Tottenham area and the Czech international made no mistake, turning and smashing the ball into the net to bring the game to life.

Seconds later, Liverpool's latest signing came inches away from extending their lead.

Berger fed a long ball through to Heskey, who moved inside Anderton and outside Campbell, before hammering a shot against Walker's cross-bar.

Spurs struggle

Liverpool started the brighter of the two sides after the break, holding the ball up well in midfield.

It was a sublime period for the home side and Thompson should have doubled the Reds' lead with only Walker to beat after the offside trap failed.

Spurs struggled to contain Emile Heskey
Instead, he hesitated and Walker did well to take the ball at his feet.

Liverpool, at last, looked to be enjoying their afternoon in the sunshine and with just under half-an-hour to go they secured a well-deserved second.

Heskey shot from five yards, forcing Walker into a close-range save. The ex-Leicester striker then played the rebound to an unmarked Owen who side-footed in with ease.

As the game wore on, Spurs' problems merely increased.

Liverpool, now controlling the game at will, found space inside the opposition area and Thompson again came close with a brave left-footed volley.

Vladimir Smicer then replaced Thompson, who left the field to rapturous applause.

Owen, Smicer and Heskey all came close during the final quarter and though they failed to find the third, the home side were clearly coasting.


Liverpool: Westerveld, Carragher, Henchoz, Hyypia, Matteo, Berger, Hamann, Murphy, Thompson, Owen, Heskey. Subs: Song, Smicer, Heggem, Camara, Nielsen.

Tottenham: Walker, Carr, Perry, Campbell, Taricco, Anderton, Freund, Clemence, Ginola, Armstrong, Iversen. Subs: Korsten, Baardsen, Young, Etherington, Davies.

Referee: S Lodge (Barnsley)

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
See also:

09 Apr 00 | FA Cup
Chelsea edge towards final
09 Apr 00 | Football
Tigana named as Fulham boss
09 Apr 00 | Football
Everton sorry for Izzet abuse
08 Apr 00 | Football
Hibs bid to end 98-year wait
08 Apr 00 | FA Carling Premiership
Everton grab a point
07 Apr 00 | Football
Keegan: 'Leeds tie was wrong'
06 Apr 00 | Football
Bergkamp gives Arsenal edge
Links to other FA Carling Premiership stories are at the foot of the page.