Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: Sport: Football: FA Carling Premiership
Front Page 
UK Politics 
Rugby Union 
Rugby League 
Talking Point 
In Depth 

The BBC's Alan Green
"Not much went the way of the champions"
 real 28k

Saturday, 12 February, 2000, 18:48 GMT
Magpies crush Man Utd

Ferguson's turn-and-volley puts Newcastle ahead

Newcastle 3-0 Man Utd

Newcastle United have completed their revival with a three-goal demolition of an ill-disciplined Manchester United at St James's Park.

A brilliant first-half goal from Duncan Ferguson put the Magpies in front, while Alan Shearer punished the Premiership leaders for the sending off of Roy Keane with two goals in the last quarter.

Match facts
26 mins: Ferguson scores Magpies' first
43 mins: Keane and Cole booked for dissent
59 mins: Cole goal disallowed
64 mins: Keane gets second yellow
76 mins: Shearer makes it two
83 mins: Stam booked for dissent
86 mins: Shearer scores his second
But a blistering match was marred by repeated scenes of dissent from Manchester United players that earned yellow cards for Keane, Jaap Stam and Andy Cole.

Speaking afterwards, delighted Newcastle boss Bobby Robson said: "It was a big spectacle for the supporters and a magnificent match.

"We have beaten a very good team here today...the dismissal of Keane was vital."

His opposite number, Sir Alex Ferguson said: "We were careless. The Ferguson goal was a marvellous hit...when the second goal went in, that was it - game over.

"But you have to take risks if you want to recover and we will take them."

The win means Newcastle maintain their six-month unbeaten run at home and break the hoodoo that has stopped them from beating Manchester for the last three seasons.

The game opened at a frenetic pace, which both sides maintained for the full action-packed 90 minutes.

The early chances went to the visitors, with Nikos Dabizas doing just enough to clear from the feet of Teddy Sheringham on five minutes.

Moments later, Cole - a former Magpie who was booed every time he touched the ball - tried an acrobatic overhead kick from 15 yards that he just failed to nail down.

Keane: Sent off for a second yellow
Manchester United appeared the stronger throughout the helter-skelter early exchanges, but it was a piece of sublime magic by Ferguson that eventually broke the deadlock for Newcastle on 26 minutes

Rob Lee sent in a speculative long ball that Alan Shearer nodded down to his strike partner.

Ferguson, on the edge of the area and facing the wrong way, turned and struck a sweet volley that sent the ball rocketing into the top right corner of the net.

Their tails up, the Magpies surged into the Manchester half and nearly produced a second goal on the half-hour as a Kieron Dyer cross from deep on the right beat Mark Bosnich and clattered off the inside of the far post.

Gary Speed, making his 100th appearance for Newcastle, also came close to increasing the home lead when he fired a poor clearance by Mickael Silvestre narrowly wide.

Manchester were becoming visibly frustrated and finally boiled over just before the interval as skipper Roy Keane earned himself a booking for suggesting the linesman needed glasses.

Shearer was also booked for dissent after the restart as the tempo of the match slackened off, even if the passion of the confrontation did not.

We have beaten a very good team here today...the dismissal of Keane was vital
Bobby Robson, Newcastle manager
The visitors began to re-establish themselves and it was only by the narrowest of margins that Cole failed to equalise.

His deft chip beat Steve Harper and appeared to cross the line before the keeper scrabbled it back, but both the referee and the linesman were unsighted and the score was disallowed.

By this stage, a clearly injured Ferguson was substituted for Temuri Ketsbaia and home side's attack reignited to the extent that Keane was sent off for a rash challenge on Lee as Newcastle surged forward.

Teddy Sheringham Sheringham: Denied early on
His second yellow card produced a gail of protest that also earned Cole a card for dissent. Paul Scholes was booked two minutes later for another dangerous tackle.

A dispirited and disorganised Manchester fell back into its own half to regroup, but the Magpies clearly had other ideas and slammed home the advantage with a second goal from Shearer on 76 minutes.

The England captain carried the ball forward to the edge of the area and blasted it between Ketsbaia and the retreating Jap Stam to beat Bosnich at the bottom right corner.

But the visitors were not finished yet - collecting cards for dissent, that is. Stam was also carded for a toe-to-toe confrontation with a linesman.

Shearer then sealed Manchester's humiliation with a third goal on 86 minutes as Didier Domi put in a sharp lateral pass from the left for his skipper to stab in off the flailing keeper.


Newcastle: Harper, Barton, Helder, Dabizas, Hughes, Lee, Dyer, Speed, Gallacher, Shearer, Ferguson. Subs: Given, Domi, Gavilan, Ketsbaia, Fumaca.

Man Utd: Bosnich, G. Neville, Silvestre, Stam, Irwin, Keane, Beckham, Scholes, Giggs, Sheringham, Cole. Subs: Van Der Gouw, Solskjaer, Butt, P. Neville, Berg.

Referee: S Lodge (Barnsley)
Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console

Is it too violent?

See also:
12 Feb 00 |  FA Carling Premiership
Rams leave it too late
12 Feb 00 |  FA Carling Premiership
Hammers win nine-goal epic
12 Feb 00 |  FA Carling Premiership
Collymore impresses on debut
12 Feb 00 |  FA Carling Premiership
Black day for Wednesday
12 Feb 00 |  FA Carling Premiership
Kewell beauty wins ugly contest
12 Feb 00 |  FA Carling Premiership
Sky Blues seal Highfield thriller
12 Feb 00 |  FA Carling Premiership
Blues close the gap
Links to other FA Carling Premiership stories are at the foot of the page.