Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: Sport: Football: FA Carling Premiership
Front Page 
UK Politics 
Rugby League 
Rugby Union 
Formula 1 
Talking Point 
In Depth 

The BBC's Steve May
The full-time report from White Hart Lane
 real 28k

Sunday, 26 December, 1999, 14:25 GMT
Spurs bounce back

Iversen celebrates the second goal

Tottenham 4-0 Watford

Two goals from Tim Sherwood, and one each for David Ginola and Steffen Iversen ensured Spurs an easy home win following last week's cup humiliation at Newcastle.

But it was not enough to satisfy some home fans, who jeered manager George Graham for substituting Ginola 16 minutes from the end.

Match facts
28 mins: David Ginola secures the opener
33 mins: Steffen Iversen adds the second
56 mins: Tim Sherwood makes it three
83 mins: Sherwood doubles his tally
The Frenchman had struck his first Premiership goal of the season in the 27th minute, a superb solo effort.

Iversen nodded in his 12th this season just six minutes later to leave Watford in deep trouble, even before Sherwood struck twice after half time.

Spurs could have had three goals in the first five minutes.

Iversen dragged a shot wide of the far post, Allan Nielsen missed a header with the goal gaping before Sol Campbell put a similar effort off-target.

Watford threatened briefly when David Perpetuini, making his first Premiership start, sent Michel Ngonge away down the middle.

But he fired wide of the Spurs goal, ignoring the supporting run of co-striker Tommy Smith.

Campbell and Taricco of Spurs
Neil Cox and Smith fired further efforts off target but Watford were caught out by a brilliant counter-attacking run by Ginola.

The Frenchman sprinted down the left, cut inside past the challenge of Cox and then continued his run across the edge of the penalty area before drilling a right-foot shot into the corner.

There were further Spurs opportunities before Iversen's downward header found the net after another Armstrong cross on the right.

Graham Taylor's triple substitution at the start of the second half was a clear sign of Watford's desperation - but it made little difference.

Spurs continued to dominate and were often in cruise control before another piece of Ginola mastery produced a third goal in the 56th minute.

Armstrong had already seen a fine effort fly just inches over the crossbar when Ginola teased and tormented two defenders.

He then sent over the perfect cross from the right for Tim Sherwood to head home with ease beyond helpless goalkeeper Chamberlain.

The former Blackburn midfielder added a fourth, when he slammed home another header, but this time from a Stephen Clemence cross.

But it will clearly take more than a thrashing of a relegation-haunted side to please the White Hart Lane faithful.

Graham's decision to deny Ginola the full 90 minutes met with a predictable response from the home fans, some of whom wanted the club to make a public apology before this game for last Wednesday's nightmare in the north east.


Tottenham: Walker, Carr, Perry, Campbell, Taricco, Nielsen, Sherwood, Clemence, Ginola, Iversen, Armstrong. Subs: Baardsen, Korsten, Edinburgh, Dominguez, Gower.

Watford: Chamberlain, Cox, Williams, Page, Robinson, Hyde, Palmer, Johnson, Perpetuini, Ngonge, Smith. Subs: Day, Gibbs, Gudmundsson, Foley, Miller.

Referee: M Reed (Birmingham)

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console

See also:
26 Dec 99 |  FA Carling Premiership
Flo upstages Tiss return
24 Dec 99 |  Cricket
Solskjaer in line for recall
26 Dec 99 |  Football
Keegan dismisses quit rumours
Links to other FA Carling Premiership stories are at the foot of the page.