Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education

Front Page



UK Politics







Talking Point

In Depth

On Air

Low Graphics

Saturday, November 6, 1999 Published at 17:37 GMT

Anfield has to wait for win

Vegard Heggem is challenged by Stefano Eranio

Liverpool 2-0 Derby

Liverpool went fifth in the table with this win, although it took them more then an hour to break down Derby after fierce pressure.

The BC's John Rawling: "Give real hope to the Liverpool faithful"
Danny Murphy broke the deadlock in the 65th minute with a deflected shot.

Four minutes later Jamie Redknapp hit the second into an open goal after Derby keeper Russell Hoult missed his kick.

Dean Sturridge had a good chance for the visitors while Deon Burton hit the woodwork, and Spencer Prior had a chance cleared off the line.

[ image: Owen: Fitness fine, form unspectacular]
Owen: Fitness fine, form unspectacular
Meanwhile Michael Owen got through his comeback unscathed although he showed little to suggest he will tear the Scots apart if selected for England next week.

He lasted 80 minutes unscathed and was withdrawn when the game was won, much to Kevin Keegan's relief no doubt.

Early domination from the home side was inspired by Redknapp, Titi Camara and Dietmar Hamann, while Vladimir Smicer missed an early chance before limping away with a hamstring injury.

Murphy took over and enhanced Liverpool's control, although their pretty football did not really test Hoult in the first half.

Camara's overhead kick flashed over the bar and Jamie Carragher saw a fine lob clear the bar by inches, while Redknapp put two long-range efforts wide.

The Derby keeper's only real serious action was to race out to scoop a Hamann pass from the toes of Owen.

Meanwhile the other end saw Burton's 12-yard effort deflected over, while Esteban Fuertes almost turned in a Horacio Carbonari cross.

Eranio stretchered off

Sami Hyypia was fortunate to escape a booking for a late tackle on Stefano Eranio after 20 minutes that ended with the Italian being carried off on a stretcher.

After the break Liverpool still had most of the ball, with Steve Staunton producing two cross-shots that flashed wide of the far post.

Sturridge and Prior replaced Fuertes and Seth Johnson and both could have scored for the visitors on the break before Murphy was found by Meijer.

He stormed into the box, cut inside and drilled a low shot that deflected off Prior's body and over the diving Hoult.

Liverpool soon got their second when Staunton's ball sent Redknapp racing clear behind Derby's defence, amid mass appeals for offside.

The Anfield skipper was allowed to continue, and Hoult came rushing out, only to miss his kick and offer Redknapp a simple open goal chance.

Derby still kept going, and their luck was summed up when Burton headed a cross against the bar after 78 minutes.


Liverpool: Westerveld, Staunton, Henchoz, Hyypia, Heggem, Carragher, Redknapp, Hamann, Smicer, Owen, Camara. Subs: Meijer, Murphy, Thompson, Nielsen, Gerrard.

Derby: Hoult, Laursen, Carbonari, Schnoor, Eranio, Delap, Johnson, Powell, Dorigo, Fuertes, Burton. Subs: Sturridge, Christie, Prior, Borbokis, Knight.

Referee: U Rennie (Sheffield)

Advanced options | Search tips

Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage |

In this section

White Rose rivals meet again

Derby double swoop fails

Spurs stifle depleted Gunners

Dons destroy Leeds hopes

Campbell punishes Newcastle

Goalless as east meets west

Cole double sinks Leicester

Anfield has to wait for win

Steady Reddy saves Sunderland

Poor Villa beaten by Saints

De Bilde saves Wednesday

Bantams hold quick start Coventry

Heggem seals Anfield victory

Mighty Quinn sends Spurs crashing

Keane leads Coventry charge

Harte breaks Hammers