Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education

Front Page



UK Politics







Talking Point

In Depth

On Air

Low Graphics

Sunday, October 24, 1999 Published at 20:43 GMT

Sinclair scrapes draw for Hammers

Sunderland's Kevin Phillips celebrates his headed goal

West Ham 1-1 Sunderland

Trevor Sinclair has saved red faces at West Ham with a last-minute equaliser to salvage a 1-1 draw with 10-man Sunderland.

The BBC's Bob Ballard: "Sunderland had a real chance of three points"
In an electrifying opening quarter at Upton Park, Steve Bould was sent off for an off-the-ball incident involving Paulo Wanchope then striker Kevin Phillips poached the lead for his under strength side.

But it took the talents of Phillips' fellow England player Sinclair to rescue the home side as the clock rolled around to 89 minutes and all looked lost.

Cole outstanding

On 19 minutes, Bould was shown a red card after Costa Rican international Wanchope fell to the floor clutching his face on the edge of the Sunderland box.

[ image: Steve Bould: Sent off after 19 minutes]
Steve Bould: Sent off after 19 minutes
Referee Mark Hasley did not see the incident, but he consulted with assistant Colin Webster and made the decision to send the centre-half off.

Sunderland weathered the storm as the Hammers tried to make their one-man advantage count, but the tables were turned on 24 minutes as the visitors won a free-kick.

Niall Quinn received it and crossed back in for Phillips, who stepped his defender and headed the ball home.

For West Ham, the 17-year-old midfielder Joe Cole proved his performance against Steaua Bucharest in the UEFA Cup on Thursday was no fluke and almost put Paolo Di Canio away in the first 10 minutes.

100% home record

Similarly, Sinclair created havoc in the Sunderland defence and the Hammers were only kept out in the first half through some outstanding goalkeeping by Thomas Sorensen.

But as the match wore on and West Ham failed to score an equaliser, frustration creapt into their performance and it looked for all the world as if their 100% record at home this season was about to be broken.

The second half was very much the same story and the Hammers were lucky not to concede a second to Phillips as he headed just over the crossbar from a Nicky Summerbee cross.

West Ham went close on 76 minutes as Di Canio headed a Sinclair cross and thudded it into the woodwork.

The pair finally put an equaliser together at the death, with Sinclair racing through onto a Di Canio flick and making no mistake with the finish.


West Ham: Hislop, Stimac, Ferdinand, Margas, Sinclair, Lomas, Lampard, Cole, Keller, Wanchope, Di Canio.
Subs: Kitson, Moncur, Ruddock, Foe, Forrest.
Sunderland: Sorensen, Makin, Bould, Butler, Gray, Summerbee, Rae, McCann, Schwarz, Phillips, Quinn.
Subs: Marriott, Dichio, Reddy, Williams, Roy.

Referee: M Halsey (Welwyn Garden City)

Advanced options | Search tips

Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage |

In this section

White Rose rivals meet again

Derby double swoop fails

Spurs stifle depleted Gunners

Dons destroy Leeds hopes

Campbell punishes Newcastle

Goalless as east meets west

Cole double sinks Leicester

Anfield has to wait for win

Steady Reddy saves Sunderland

Poor Villa beaten by Saints

De Bilde saves Wednesday

Bantams hold quick start Coventry

Heggem seals Anfield victory

Mighty Quinn sends Spurs crashing

Keane leads Coventry charge

Harte breaks Hammers