Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education

Front Page



UK Politics







Talking Point
On Air
Low Graphics

Saturday, August 29, 1998 Published at 15:49 GMT 16:49 UK

Beckham runs gauntlet at West Ham

Beckham and Berkovic battle it out

West Ham 0-0 Manchester United

David Beckham was given a torrid reception in his first away game since his infamous sending off in the World Cup.

BBC Radio 5 Live match summary
Stones and bottles were thrown at the Manchester United team coach, as a group of about 500 taunting West Ham fans lined the streets around Upton Park.

And when the game kicked off the midfielder's every touch was booed by the home supporters, eager to voice their disapproval of his role in England's exit from France 98.

[ image: Beckham - still being blamed]
Beckham - still being blamed
The loudest jeers were reserved for Beckham's only real chance of the first half, when he shinned a 25th minute volley high and wide.

The appearance of Beckham gave an otherwise uneventful game an intriguing edge.

There were few chances for either side and United's record signing Dwight Yorke had a quiet debut.

The former Aston Villa striker had just one shot of note, but his snatched effort on 57 minutes was blocked on the edge of the area.

The main talking point in the match occurred after just just three minutes when West Ham defender Neil Ruddock appeared to handle the ball in his own area - but the referee turned down United's appeals for a penalty.

Hammers front man Trevor Sinclair could have put the home team ahead on 20 minutes but he shot across the face of the goal after being put through by Eyal Berkovic.

[ image: Neil Ruddock tangles with new-boy Dwight Yorke]
Neil Ruddock tangles with new-boy Dwight Yorke
And Berkovic blasted over just before the break, after Peter Schmeichel failed to hold a long-range strike from Frank Lampard.

The clearest chance of the first half fell to United's Andy Cole in the 40th minute.

Cole, starting the game alongside Yorke, was put clean through by Ryan Giggs, but West Ham keeper Shaka Hislop did well to turn his shot around the post.

United also had their opportunities after the interval, but Nicky Butt was denied by Hislop after 75 minutes and substitute Teddy Sheringham put a late header just over the bar.

The closest West Ham came to winning the match were a trio of half-chances that fell to John Hartson.


West Ham: Hislop, Ruddock, Sinclair, Hartson, Lomas, Ferdinand, Lazaridis, Lampard, Pearce, Impey, Berkovic. Subs: Keller, Moncur, Forrest, Abou, Margas.

Man Utd: Schmeichel, G. Neville, Irwin, Johnsen, Beckham, Butt, Cole, Giggs, Keane, Yorke, Berg. Subs: Culkin, May, Sheringham, P. Neville, Scholes.

Referee: P Jones (Loughborough)

Advanced options | Search tips

Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage |

In this section

White Rose rivals meet again

Derby double swoop fails

Spurs stifle depleted Gunners

Dons destroy Leeds hopes

Campbell punishes Newcastle

Goalless as east meets west

Cole double sinks Leicester

Anfield has to wait for win

Steady Reddy saves Sunderland

Poor Villa beaten by Saints

De Bilde saves Wednesday

Bantams hold quick start Coventry

Heggem seals Anfield victory

Mighty Quinn sends Spurs crashing

Keane leads Coventry charge

Harte breaks Hammers