Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education

Front Page



UK Politics







Talking Point

In Depth

On Air

Low Graphics

Tuesday, September 21, 1999 Published at 23:02 GMT 00:02 UK

Bayern break Rangers' hearts

Diselief for Rangers as the free-kick hits the net

Rangers 1-1 Bayern Munich

A deflected last minute free kick robbed the home side of a deserved victory against one of the powers of European football.

Albertz: "They deserved a draw"
German Jorg Albertz had scored against the team from his home country in the 22nd minute.

Ian Turner reports from Ibrox
Michael Tarnat grabbed the shock equaliser as injury time approached.

Rangers were left to rue a string of missed chances against the side who so dramatically lost the Champions League with late goals last May.

Lacklustre Bayern were fortunate to save themselves a point on a night when the Scottish champions proved they can now compete at the highest level.

[ image: Albertz celebrates his goal]
Albertz celebrates his goal
Albertz had come into the side that lost 2-0 in Valancia in place of Neil McCann while keeper Lionel Charbonnier took his place between the posts after recovering from a back injury.

Bayern fielded fourth-choice keeper Stefan Wessels after a catalogue of injuries to their senior shot-stoppers.

The 20-year-old showed no sign of nerves early in the game, twice denying Jonatan Johansson.

Bayern took it all their stride and almost took the lead after 16 minutes when Thomas Linke steered a header wide.

But six minutes later Rangers did make the first half breakthrough with a clinical finish by Albertz from the edge of the area that wrong-footed keeper Wessels.

Claudio Reyna played a big part in the build up, winning the ball off Bixente Lizarazu.

Rangers should have added to their tally before half time through Michael Mols and Lorenzo Amoruso but Wessels was equal to anything on target.

[ image: Amoruso and Numan disappointed after the final whistle]
Amoruso and Numan disappointed after the final whistle
Bayern made a change at half time with Carsten Jancker replacing Lizarazu, but it was Rangers who continued to call the tune.

Albertz should have added a second goal after 55 minutes and the hard-working Mols was again denied a minute later.

French keeper Charbonnier lost his bearings in the 80th minute but retrieved the situation by hooking Scholl's shot over the top.

But Bayern drew level a minute from time when Tarnat's shot took a deflection off the wall after Scholl had touched a short free kick to Effenberg.

Johansson might have put Rangers back in front on the stroke of full time, but yet another chance had been wasted as the home fans were left to think of what might have been.


Rangers: Charbonnier, Numan, Moore, Amoruso, Porrini, Albertz, Ferguson, Van Bronckhorst, Reyna, Mols, Johansson. Subs: Niemi, Kanchelskis, Wallace, Vidmar, Hendry, Adamczuk, McCann.

Bayern Munich: Wessels, Kuffour, Matthaus, Linke, Lizarazu, Effenberg, Tarnat, Jeremies, Scholl, Elber, Salihamidzic. Subs: Schlosser, Andersson, Strunz, Fink, Jancker, Zickler, Santa Cruz.

Referee: Ryszard Wojcik (Poland)

Advanced options | Search tips

Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage | ©

Relevant Stories

20 Sep 99 | Champions League
Keeping problems for Ibrox clash

In this section

English sides face Italians again

Foreign legion raise Blue flag

Double blow for Rangers

Milan fall off football's catwalk

Man Utd win place among Euro seeds

German gloom after double exit

Gunners sink battling Swedes

Champions League fixtures and results

Champions League group tables