Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: Sport: Football
Front Page 
UK Politics 
Rugby Union 
Rugby League 
Talking Point 
In Depth 

BBC Scotland's Craig Anderson reports
"There was a carnival atmosphere for the game"
 real 28k

David Begg
"Just when it looked as though they might hang on....."
 real 28k

Monday, 21 February, 2000, 08:52 GMT
Caley close to second scalp

Guntveidt saved the day for the Dons

Inverness CT 1-1 Aberdeen

Inverness Caledonian Thistle came close to claiming another Premier League scalp as their Scottish Cup dream lives on.

Cato Guntveit spared the Dons' blushes with a header to level the scores nine minutes before full-time, earning a replay at Pittodrie.

Caley midfielder Charlie Christie said: "We were always worried we were going to fall flat on our faces after the Celtic game.

Quarter-final draw
Alloa or Dundee Utd v Inverness Caledonian Thistle or Aberdeen
Hibernian or Clydebank v Berwick Rangers or Falkirk
Motherwell or Ayr United v Partick Thistle
Rangers v Hearts
Ties to be played on March 11/12.
"But we produced a great performance and the only disappointing thing was we went into our shells a bit at the end. I think we proved this is a tough place for anyone to get a result.

"We don't usually get the kind of media hype which has surrounded this tie, but we reacted very positively and again I think we've done everyone at the club proud.

"We have a lot of belief going into the replay because there's no reason why we still cannot go through. As for how far we can go from here, well Europe would be nice."

Dons' revival

Robert Mann's 50th minute strike was looking as though it might puncture the Dons' recent revival.

But Aberdeen became the dominant side as the first division hosts tired and the visitors swept forward with increasing menace.

After their stunning win at Celtic in the last round all Scottish eyes were on the Highland club's high-profile televised tie with Aberdeen.

The visitors started the season in desperate form but have recently moved off the bottom of the Premier League table and reached the League Cup final.

Caley fan Caley fans are confident of another victory
But the upturn in their fortunes was set to end abrubtly before Guntveidt's crucial intervention and the two teams must try again at Pittodrie.

Both sides were missing key players to international duty, with Aberdeen's Hicham Zerouali with the Moroccan Olympic team and Canadian international Richard Hastings at the Concacaf Gold Cup.

Kevin Rutkiewicz started up front for the visitors while former Dons youngster Denis Wyness led the home attack.

From the outset the the home team surged forward and could have moved ahead after only three minutes.

Frantic start

But Inverness skipper Mark McCulloch the skipper was slow to turn and Jim Leighton blocked his effort.

Aberdeen were able to slow a frantic early tempo, but could not deliver decent service, with Arild Stavrum looking uncomfortable in a wide role.

The home side created all the chances, with Ross Tokely glancing a header past the post and Wyness screwing a shot wide of the mark against his former club.

It was 36 minutes before Aberdeen had an opportunity of note, with Guntveit squaring for Robbie Winters who failed to connect properly.

And Aberdeen spurned their clearest chance of the half three minutes before the break when Rutkiewicz forced a brilliant block from veteran keeper Calder.

Highlanders lead

Centre-half Mann gave the home side a deserved lead when Sheerin's 51st-minute corner was met firmly by the defender's header.

It was half-stopped by Leighton, but the Dons keeper could not prevent the ball finding its way past him into the net.

Aberdeen manager Ebbe Skovdahl withdrew Rutkiewicz and sent on Rachid Belabed.

Andy Dow's cross/shot was turned just over his own bar by a sliding Mike Teasdale on the hour.

And Belabed almost made an instant impact after 65 minutes when he shot narrowly wide with Calder.


Inverness CT:
Calder, Tokely, Golabek, Teasdale, Mann, Shearer, Bavidge, McCulloch, Wilson, Christie, Wyness. Subs: Byers, Glancy, Hind.

Aberdeen: Leighton, Whyte, Solberg, Anderson, McAllister, Bernard, Dow, Guntveit, Stavrum, Rutkiewicz, Winters. Subs: Perry, Belabed, Clark.

Referee: Kenny Clark
Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
Football Contents


See also:
14 Feb 00 |  Football
Stavrum strike takes Dons to final
19 Feb 00 |  Football
Inverness face televised trial
08 Feb 00 |  Football
Caley's minnows slay Celtic

Internet links:

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites
Links to other Football stories are at the foot of the page.