Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: Sport: Football
Front Page 
UK Politics 
Rugby Union 
Rugby League 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
Saturday, 19 February, 2000, 17:43 GMT
Rangers wasteful in victory

Wallace celebrates Moore's goal

Morton 0-1 Rangers

Craig Moore scored the only goal as Rangers edged through to the Scottish Cup qua\rter-finals at Love Street.

But after Celtic's embarrassment against Inverness a 1-0 victory will suffice for any Rangers fans who feared they might be the next to suffer cup humiliation.

Moore's winner came in the 50th minute and the narrow win follows two draws in the league as Rangers form has stuttered slightly.

Manager Dick Advocaat had stressed he was looking for an improvement in this game, and despite the result there was a better performance during a lively first half that should have yielded a few goals.

It was Andrei Kanchelskis who was at the heart of the Glasgow side's best work.

The Russian winger picked out Gordon Durie in the sixth minute and he nodded the ball into the path of Rod Wallace.

He took one touch and blasted a fierce 20-yard shot inches wide of the target.

Neil McCann saw a header blocked and minutes later Wallace sent an overhead kick into the crowd.

Giovanni van Bronckhorst should have put Rangers ahead in the 27th minute but he sent a glancing header wide of the post after Tugay and Tony Vidmar had linked up.

Morton were growing in confidence as half time approached and were beginning to win the 50-50 balls.

But the tide was still predominately one-way and Wallace was off-target with a header in the 37th minute before McCann wasted two more chances before the break.

Goal for frustrated fans

The frustrated visiting fans' mood soon changed with Morton finally caving in after 50 minutes.

Wallace peeled away from his marker to get on the end of McCann's fine delivery.

The ball came back off the inside of the post with defender Moore getting the final touch.

McCann then began to make an impact and Durie was off target when he got on the end of his team-mate's cross.

Striker Marco Negri came on as a 77th-minute substitute after last featuring in April 1998.

The Italian striker looked busy and purposeful but was unable to help Rangers extend their lead.

And that infuriated their fans, who voiced their impatience at the end in no uncertain terms, despite the fact that Morton had barely been near the visitors' goal.


Greenock Morton:
Maxwell, Murie, D. Anderson, Millen, Morrison, Pluck, Earnshaw, J. Anderson, Matheson, Curran, McDonald. Subs: Slavin, Aitken, Wright.

Rangers: Klos, Moore, Numan, Ferguson, Kanchelskis, Van Bronckhorst, Wallace, Vidmar, McCann, Durie, Tugay. Subs: Albertz, Wilson, Negri.

Referee: Willie Young (Scotland)

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
Football Contents


See also:
18 Feb 00 |  Football
Minnows continue cup bids
18 Feb 00 |  Scottish Premier
Ref 'so embarrassed' by blunder
17 Feb 00 |  Scottish Premier
Celtic splutter into final
16 Feb 00 |  Football
European boost for Scots
16 Feb 00 |  FA Carling Premiership
Hendry ready to leave Ibrox
15 Feb 00 |  Scottish Premier
Rangers denied by late Lowndes strike
Links to other Football stories are at the foot of the page.