Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: Sport: Football
Front Page 
UK Politics 
Rugby Union 
Rugby League 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
Saturday, 29 January, 2000, 18:49 GMT
Easy going for Hibs

Hibs 4-1 Dunfermline

Hibernian made easy work of their Scottish Cup third round clash with a convincing win over Dunfermline at Easter Road.

Goals from Kenny Miller, Grant Brebner, Ian Murray and Derek Collins saw Hibs though to the next round, while David Graham pulled one back for the visitors.

Hibs were just too strong for the Fifers who battled hard throughout but could not bridge the gap in class.

Hibs opened their account after just two minutes when Kenny Miller raced in to head home from six yards.

Dunfermline hit back on the half-hour however, when David Graham rounded the keeper to slot home after a poor back pass from Mathias Jack.

Murray, who had been brought on after the break, grabbed the third when he reacted quickly from six yards out.

And Collins wrapped up proceedings when he lobbed keeper Mampaey just before time.

St Mirren 1-1 Aberdeen

Hicham Zerourali saved the Dons from an embarrassing Scottish Cup exit at St Mirren.

The Premier League strugglers were floundering after Steven McGarry had given the First Division leaders a 56th-minute lead.

But Moroccan Zerourali struck from a free-kick he had earned, to send the game to a replay at Pittodrie.

Dundee 0-0 Ayr United

Ayr United came close to adding Dundee to their list of scalps with a determined performance at Dens Park.

The Ayrshire men were on top for most of the tie and Dundee's keeper Robert Douglas was by far the busier of the two custodians.

But, although they had the home rear-guard in trouble, the visitors failed to capitalise on their superiority.

Albion Rovers 1-2 Partick Thistle

A last gasp Danny Lennon strike sunk Albion Rovers at Cliftonhill.

Aided by a strong wind, Thistle took an early lead through Robert Dunn when he fired low past Mark McLean from a narrow angle in the sixth minute.

Rovers defended well for the remainder of the half and reached the break without further loss.

They pounded the visitors' goal after the interval and Tom Tait tested Kevin Budinauckas with two fierce drives.

Graham Duncan headed the equaliser four minutes from the end, but Lennon's late goal left them with nothing to show for a great second half performance.

Arbroath v Motherwell

Abandoned due to high winds

Celtic v Inverness

Postponed due to storm damage

Clyde 3-1 Raith Rovers

Clyde progressed into the fourth round thanks to two late goals from Brian Carrigan.

Craig Dargo had given Rovers the lead in 35 minutes when he blasted home from close range.

But with 14 minutes remaining Carrigan got on the end of a Tam Woods flick to run on before rounding the keeper and scoring from a tight angle.

He was instrumental in the second goal when his fine cross was headed home by Woods and Carrigan finished off the scoring in injury time from the penalty spot, after he was pulled down in the area by Brian Hetherston.

Clydebank 1-0 Sterling

An opportunist goal from man-of-the-match Fraser Wishart gave Clydebank a 1-0 win over Stirling Albion.

Only six minutes were on the clock when Wishart took James McKinstrey's long pass in his stride to release a vicious volley.

Stirling keeper Garry Gow blocked this effort but was powerless to prevent Wishart finding the net on the rebound.

Falkirk 3-1 Peterhead

Non-league Peterhead were taught a hard lesson by Falkirk.

The Bairns went ahead in the opening minutes and despite a quick equaliser, Falkirk soon put the game beyond the Highland club to be worthy winners of a place in the next round.

Falkirk were quick to exploit their rivals' lack of big-time experience when David Nicholls blasted the ball past keeper Ivor Pirie. <> Peterhead equalised just minutes later when Andy Gibson found himself clear on goal.

But a free-kick right on the 18 yard line gave the Bairns the opportunity to regain their lead and Scott Crabbe did not disappoint.

On 71 minutes the game was put beyond Peterhead when substitute Gareth Hutchison set up Hagen who slotted the ball past Pirie.

Hearts 3-2 Stenhousemuir

Second Division Stenhousemuir almost staged a famous Cup shock after taking a two-goal lead over Premier side Hearts.

The home side were shocked when the Cup minnows took the lead in the eighth minute through Ross Hamilton.

And the lead doubled in the 29th minute when Mooney outjumped the home defence to silence the Tynecastle crowd even further.

Had Stenhousemuir managed to go in 2-0 up at the break it might have been a different story, but Hearts pulled one back eight minutes before half-time.

Fisher was judged to have handled the ball and Cameron made no mistake from the spot.

Gary McSwegan, rifled home on 61 minutes and two minutes from time, he blasted home the winner with a left-foot shot from 12 yards.

Queen of the South 0-7 Livingston

Livingston blasted their way through to the next round with a fine display against a dour Queen of the South.

The goals came thick and fast after McKinnon had added the only goal of the first half.

But a hatrick from Keith and goals from Bingham and McPhee after the break ended the contest early, before McKinnon grabbed his second just before time.

Stranraer 1-2 Berwick

Third Division Berwick Rangers claimed the scalp of Stranraer with a 2-1 win at Stair Park.

The visitors failed to harness the strong first half wind, but went in ahead at the break from Lloyd Haddow's 42nd minute penalty.

Home fans were stunned when Craig Findlay doubled Berwick's lead for even though Paul Ronald pulled one back quickly the Blues never looked like scoring again.

Seven players got yellow cards, four for Stranraer and three for Berwick.

The goals apart there were few chances going and it was a cup-tie with no excitement and very little glamour.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
Football Contents


See also:
29 Jan 00 |  Football
McSwegan spares Hearts' blushes
29 Jan 00 |  Football
Guttering leaves Celtic red-faced
29 Jan 00 |  FA Cup
Hunt caps Charlton comeback
29 Jan 00 |  FA Cup
Owls' misery continues
29 Jan 00 |  FA Cup
Toffees made to battle
Links to other Football stories are at the foot of the page.