Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: Sport: Football
Front Page 
UK Politics 
Rugby League 
Rugby Union 
Formula 1 
Talking Point 
In Depth 

Leeds manager David O' Leary
"Don't get me talking about referees"
 real 28k

The BBC's Dave Woods
"This defeat could have ramifications for Leeds young title-chasers"
 real 28k

Thursday, 16 December, 1999, 09:55 GMT
Fighting Foxes pull through

On the balance of play neither side deserved to lose

Leicester 0-0 Leeds (4-2 penalties)

Leicester will meet Fulham in the quarter-finals of the Worthington Cup after defeating 10-man Leeds on penalties at Filbert Street.

There was little between the sides after 120 minutes. But two misses from the spot from Gary Kelly and Lee Bowyer gave Muzzy Izzet the opportunity to put the home side through.

Lucas Radebe had earlier been forced off the field after two controversial yellow-cards.

Penalty shoot-out
1-0: Gunnlaugsson
1-1: Woodgate
2-1: Elliot
2-2: Harte
3-2: Impey
3-2: Kelly miss
3-2: Zagorakis miss
3-2: Bowyer miss
4-2: Izzet
Referee Graham Barber gave Radebe his marching orders after a body check on Emile Heskey.

The Leeds fans were outraged and so was manager Martin O'Neil, but the visitors battled hard to push the game into a shoot-out.

The opening 15 minutes were relatively quiet, until Tim Flowers turned a swerving 20-yard drive from Kelly around the post.

The home side, who were also without defender Frank Sinclair (calf), suffered a setback when midfield dynamo Neil Lennon limped out of the action.

izzet Muzzy Izzet celebrates putting Leicester through
Heskey was a threat every time he received the ball - either with his power in the air or when he turned and ran at the Leeds rearguard.

Then it was Leeds' turn to encounter an injury setback when David Batty, in his first game back after missing the last four with an Achilles problem, had to be substituted.

Tempers became frayed with a spate of bookings which saw Steve Walsh, Heskey, Radebe and Bridges all yellow-carded by referee Graham Barber.

Walsh looked uncomfortable at the back but he missed a good chance to break the deadlock when he ventured into the Leeds penalty area to head an Oakes free-kick wide when well placed at the far post.


Bridges missed a good opportunity seconds after the break, but his first touch let him down after Elliot had conceded a free-kick.

At the other end, Nigel Martyn almost made a fatal error, hesitating with a clearance and allowing Heskey to charge down the kick - but the ball rebounded wide of the posts.

It was a bright start from both sides and when Flowers rushed out to meet the oncoming Kewell on 50 minutes, it looked a certain goal until the ball skimmed the top of the bar.

Bowyer Lee Bowyer skips past Muzzy Izzet
Leeds missed their best chance of the game in the 69th minute, after a superb ball from Kewell, but with no-one pushing up, the ball drifted harmlessly across the face of the goal.

With 10 minutes to go, Walsh blocked a fine Bridges strike that could have brought the contest to a close.

But Leicester pushed forward again, Heskey finding Cottey, who fired the ball wide of Martyn's right-hand post.

Leicester undoubtedly had Leeds on the back foot and when Elliot headed past Martyn with just two minutes to go, the home fans erupted, until Jones stuck his knee out to keep the ball out.

Seconds later, Heskey broke again only to be checked by Radebe. Heskey went down and Barber sent the Leeds man off the field for a second bookable offence.


Gunnlaugsson replaced Cottey in injury time for the home side, and with only 10-men Leeds struggled to gain any meaningful possession.

Robbie Savage did well to connect with a Gunnlaugsson cross midway through the first period, but Woodgate cleared.

Both sides looked visibly tired, but despite completely dominating the first half of extra-time, Leicester were unable to find the goal.

yellow Referee Graham Barber awarded a handful of yellow cards
Leeds made a solid start in the second period, but there were few chances until Kewell attempted a hopeful 40-yard drive after skipping past a number of blue shirts.

The final seconds were frantic, but neither side managed to break the deadlock.

It left the game delicately balanced and after Gunnlaugsson, Woodgate, Elliot, Harte and Impey had all converted safely, Kelly smashed in a right-foot spot-kick which clipped the top of the bar to the delight of the home crowd.

Zagorakis gave Leeds a lifeline which Bowyer failed to convert when his penalty hit the underside of the woodwork.

It was then left to Izzet, who made no mistake, beating Martyn to right to book Leicester a quarter-final date with Fulham.


Leicester: Flowers, Taggart, Walsh, Izzet, Lennon, Heskey, Savage, Elliott, Impey, Cottee, Oakes. Subs: Gunnlaugsson, Gilchrist, Campbell, Arphexad, Zagorakis.

Leeds: Martyn, Kelly, Harte, Radebe, Woodgate, Bridges, Kewell, Bowyer, McPhail, Bakke, Batty. Subs: Huckerby, Robinson, Mills, Jones, Duberry.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
Football Contents


See also:
12 Dec 99 |  FA Cup
Bakke strikes early for Leeds
15 Dec 99 |  Football
Deja-vu for Southgate
15 Dec 99 |  Football
Leeds may turn their back on Bakke
15 Dec 99 |  Football
Roma clash for Leeds in Uefa Cup
Links to other Football stories are at the foot of the page.