Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education

Front Page



UK Politics







Talking Point

In Depth

On Air

Low Graphics

Saturday, May 29, 1999 Published at 17:31 GMT 18:31 UK

Sport: Football

Rangers take treble

Rod Wallace scores the only goal of the game

Celtic 0-1 Rangers

Rangers won the first Old Firm Scottish Cup final in 10 years, giving them a sixth domestic treble and denying Celtic a single trophy in a painful season for the Parkhead club.

David Begg: "It took heroic defending by Rangers to keep their lead"
The Bhoys will consider themselves unlucky, after creating a number of chances.

But striker Henrik Larsen had a rare off day and the Rangers defence held firm with Colin Hendry playing through the pain of a groin injury and Lorenzo Amoruso winning the man of the match award.

[ image: Amato and Moravcik battle away]
Amato and Moravcik battle away
Equally importantly for Scottish football, the game passed off without major incident or controversy following the scenes the last time the two clubs met, 27 days earlier.

All eyes were on referee Hugh Dallas and the players after the league game at Parkhead saw three dismissals, a missile thrown at the official and public order problems around Glasgow.

Perhaps as a result the match started in a subdued atmosphere and the first shot - from Celtic - did not arrive until the 14th minute.

Rob Wallace: "This is what dreams are made of"
A pattern of the side in green and white enjoying more of the ball with Rangers looking to break was set at this early stage.

On 16 minutes a Neil McCann run was checked by Johan Mjallby, who was booked before Jorg Albertz wasted the free kick.

Tempers briefly flare

Two minutes later promises of good behaviour were forgotten for a split second as another unnecessary foul was committed by Lubomir Moravcik on the edge of the area.

[ image: Hugh Dallas: No major controversy this time]
Hugh Dallas: No major controversy this time
Amoruso received a strict lecture from referee Dallas as the heat increased within the rebuilt Hampden Park.

Rangers came closer with this free kick but not as close as Celtic's Paul Lambert two minutes later,

He hit the woodwork from almost 30 yards out before the Gers' best chance of the half was wasted by Wallace.

The striker's control let him down after he had run clear and Jon Gould pounced to deny the former Leeds player.

Rangers take lead

Neil McCann: "This is magic"
The second half started with Rangers by far the sharper, and within four minutes of the restart Wallace had given them the lead.

A ball was played into the Celtic box, which McCann managed to turn behind Wallace's man-marker Annoni.

The Englishman was six yards out with Gould to beat, and he made no mistake to score his 27th of a productive first season in Scotland.

[ image: McCann: Impressive winger set up Wallace]
McCann: Impressive winger set up Wallace
Jo Venglos's side looked like they needed a change, and the Celtic coach turned to another former Aston Villa man in a bid to provide Henrik Larsen with more support up front.

Tommy Johnson, whose time ijn Glasgow has been badly disrupted by injuries, came on for Annoni.

He did not make an immediate impact although by the hour mark Celtic were looking more likely to score, with Rangers still happy to soak up pressure.

Half chances

Morten Wieghorst, Stephane Mahe and Alan Stubbs all had half chances saved by Klos.

Johnson also saw an effort deflected just wide with 17 minutes of normal time remaining.

[ image:  ]
The pressure was starting to build with Rangers unable to get the ball out of their half, particularly after McCann went off injured.

Andrei Kanchelskis came on after 77 minutes, presumably to help Rangers keep the ball when they broke.

And they had a chance to finish it when Albertz ran down the left after 81 minutes, but Gabriel Amato's effort was saved superbly by Gould.

With three minutes to go a number of shots from the edge of the Rangers area were charged down and Amoruso eventually deflected Lambert's long range effort wide.

Celtic's fans at the same end of stadium howled for a penalty but replays showed the ball came off the Italian's chest for a corner.

Referee Dallas had got a crucial decision right, and it turned out to be Celtic's final real chance of a dispiriting afternoon, despite almost five minutes of injury time.

Rangers: Klos, Porrini, Hendry, Amoruso, Vidmar, McCann, McInnes, Van Bronckhorst, Wallace, Amato, Albertz. Subs: Ferguson, Wilson, Kanchelskis.

Celtic: Gould, Boyd, Mahe, Stubbs, Larsson, Wieghorst, Lambert, Annoni, Blinker, Moravcik, Mjallby. Subs: O'Donnell, Johnson, Kerr.

Referee: H Dallas (Motherwell)

Advanced options | Search tips

Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage | ©

Football Contents


Relevant Stories

29 May 99 | UK
Old Firm fans keep the peace

29 May 99 | Football
Advocaat staying for more glory

29 May 99 | Football
Picture gallery: Celtic v Rangers

In this section

Collins calls it a day for Scots

Derby double swoop fails

From Special Report
Keegan accused over late night

White Rose rivals meet again

McIlroy tipped for NI role

League to rule on Sky shares

Keane talks to resume

From Special Report
We'll be back for World Cup - Brown

From Special Report
Keegan insists England can triumph

Irish to appeal after brawl

Israel demands soccer sex scandal inquiry

From Special Report
I've rarely seen anything worse

From Special Report
An almost unbelievable turnaround

SA kidnap shocks soccer coach

From Special Report
Police claim play-off success

From Special Report
England book Euro 2000 place

From Special Report
We've a long way to go - Keegan

Turks bury Irish dream

From Special Report
We deserved to qualify - Hendry

Slovenia to make Euro debut

From Special Report
England v Scotland - picture gallery

From Special Report
What they said