Thursday, August 5, 1999 Published at 07:53 GMT 08:53 UK
Christie: I'm innocent
Linford Christie: "I've always been against drugs."
Former Olympic champion Linford Christie has insisted he will clear his name after being suspended from athletics for failing a drugs test.
The International Amateur Athletic Federation suspended Christie, a strident campaigner for drug-free athletics, who now competes only in selected meetings.
He said: "When I first heard the news it was a shock. But I'm innocent and I keep telling everyone that.
"At the end of the day I've always been against drugs. I've always said you can get to the top without being on drugs and I just hope that most of the kids out there don't lose heart, because I'll clear my name."
He added: "I'm virtually retired. For me to use drugs at the end of my career is stupid and ridiculous."
Walker, 26, who was suspended from competition in March after failing an out-of-season urine test in December, was cleared last week after a UK Athletics disciplinary committee found there was nothing to prove that the traces of nandrolone had entered his body in the form of an illegal drug.
Dr Malcolm Brown, director of medical services at UK Athletics, told the BBC: "What's lacking is sufficient scientific research for these findings over the last year.
"There have been a number of reports of athletes around the world having metabolites of nandrolone and this is very odd.
"We need to look at both sides and not jump to conclusions."
Former world 110m hurdles silver medallist Jon Ridgeon said: "After the Dougie Walker thing it's just a joke - a sad joke. I'm sure Linford will be totally exonerated."
But in a fresh blow for Christie, the BBC announced it was reviewing its agreement with the athlete to cover the World Athletics Championship in Seville later this month.
Christie was cleared of drug-taking at the 1988 Seoul Olympics when the International Olympic Committee's medical commission accepted that pseudoephendrine had got into his system because Christie had been drinking ginseng tea.
He said on Wednesday that he was prepared to go to court again.
"I spent hundreds of thousands, now lost, to clear my name a few months ago and if needs be I'll do the same again," he said.