Friday, July 16, 1999 Published at 08:05 GMT 09:05 UK
Final deadline for abuse cases
Abuse in care homes
The final deadline for compensation claims by victims of the north Wales child abuse scandal has passed.
The first cases following the £10m inquiry into abuse in childrens' homes throughout north Wales are expected to be heard in the High Court at Chester in March next year.
A large number of claims have already been settled by the former Clwyd County Council and Gwynedd County Council in whose care many of the victims were when they were abused.
The batch processed to meet the deadline by lead solicitors Nelsons of Nottingham was the last.
Partner Billhar Uppal Singh says there has been a huge response from people wanting to make a claim.
"There have been 89-90 enquiries. There will be, in addition to the claims we are pursuing already, a further 60 claims," he said.
The report following last year's inquiry by High Court judge Sir Ronald Waterhouse will not be published before the Autumn.
The inquiry was commissioned by former Welsh secretary, William Hague, three years ago.
Sir Ronald and two colleagues finished taking evidence more than a year ago.
The delay in publication angered Steve Messham, chairman of the abuse survivors group, NORWAS.
He suggested it was Sir Ronald's determination to name alleged abusers and those who may have failed to tackle them which could be causing further delay.
He said there were now 70 former residents of childrens homes in North Wales who could not have their claims for damages heard until the report's publication and the delay meant that process could not start until next year.
The health and social services committee of the National Assembly has pencilled in November to discuss and respond to the report.
Special Report Contents
Mars Surveyor probe
Louise Woodward case
Whitbread yacht race
Education League Tables
House of Lords