Languages
Page last updated at 08:19 GMT, Monday, 3 May 2010 09:19 UK

Afghanistan suicide bomber targets Nato base in Khost

Khost map

At least one person has been killed in a suicide bomb attack outside a Nato base in Khost province in south-eastern Afghanistan, police say.

The bomb targeted the same base where seven CIA agents were killed last year in one of the worst attacks against US intelligence officials.

Police said a car packed with explosives was detonated in front of the base, killing one civilian.

Meanwhile on Sunday, eight people died in a roadside blast in Paktia province.

Fourteen others were injured when a bomb hit a passenger van, Afghanistan's interior ministry said.

In Decmber 2009, a deadly attack by a suicide bomber who infiltrated the base in Khost killed seven CIA agents and a Jordanian officer.

Forward Operating Base Chapman, a former Soviet military base, is used not only by the CIA but also by provincial reconstruction teams, which include both soldiers and civilians.



Print Sponsor


RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

BBC navigation

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific