Languages
Page last updated at 11:38 GMT, Wednesday, 31 March 2010 12:38 UK

Verdict set as Mumbai attacks trial concludes

Soldiers wait outside the Taj Mahal hotel in the last hours of the assault
The November 2008 attacks left 174 people dead, including nine gunmen

The trial of the man alleged to be the sole surviving gunman in the 2008 Mumbai (Bombay) attacks has concluded, with a verdict expected in May.

Pakistani national Mohammad Ajmal Amir Qasab, 22, faces 86 charges, including waging war on India, murder and possessing explosives.

In all, 610 witnesses testified during the case, which began last March.

The November 2008 attacks left 174 people dead, including nine gunmen and soured ties between India and Pakistan.

The defendant, who remained quiet throughout the proceedings, simply nodded as the judge told him he would pass judgement on 3 May.

The judge will also give his verdict on two Indian men - Fahim Ansari and Sabahuddin Ahmed - who are accused of helping the gunmen plan the attacks.

Pakistan arrests

Speaking outside the court, special public prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam said: "The trial has ended and the prosecution has presented the links between Kasab, [banned militant group] Lashkar-e-Taiba and the Pakistani army."

Commandos dropping on Nariman House during the Mumbai attacks
The attacks affected ties between India and Pakistan

The prosecution are seeking the death penalty for Mr Qasab.

He originally denied the charges against him but in July, in a dramatic outburst in court, he admitted his role and asked to be hanged.

His plea was not accepted and the trial continued.

In November, the main lawyer representing Mr Qasab - who was arrested on the first day of the attacks - was removed from the case. The judge said he was wasting time.

After initial denials, Pakistan acknowledged that Mr Qasab was one of its citizens and that the attacks had been partially planned on its territory.

Late last year, Pakistan charged seven people in connection with the attacks, including the suspected mastermind Zaki-ur-Rehman Lakhvi, who is alleged to head Lashkar-e-Taiba.



Print Sponsor


RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites



FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

BBC iD

Sign in

BBC navigation

Copyright © 2019 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific