Afghanistan condemns deadly Nato air strike in Uruzgan
Afghanistan's government has condemned a Nato air strike on a convoy of vehicles in the south of the country, which killed at least 27 civilians.
Nato said it had hit a suspected insurgent convoy, but troops then found "a number of individuals killed and wounded", including women and children.
Sunday's attack, in Uruzgan province, was not part of a major Nato-led push in neighbouring Helmand province.
Civilian deaths in strikes have caused widespread resentment in Afghanistan.
After initial reports put the death-toll at 33, a revised statement lowered the figure to 27, including four women and one child.
Meanwhile, a suicide attack in the eastern province of Nangahar has killed at least 15 people including influential Afghan tribal chief Mohammad Haji Zaman.
Nato's Lt Gen Nick Parker defends air strike team
Correspondents say the former mujahideen warlord played an important role in fighting the Taliban and al-Qaeda in 2001 but was suspected of having allowed Osama Bin Laden to flee to Pakistan.
The Afghan government condemned Sunday's air strike, calling it "unjustifiable" and "a major obstacle" to effective counter-terrorism efforts.
The cabinet also called on Nato "to closely co-ordinate and exercise maximum care before conducting any military operation so that any possible mistakes that may result in harming civilians... can be avoided".
By Chris Morris, BBC News, Kabul
People feel that is exactly the kind of incident that pushes people towards the Taliban - so just what Nato didn't want at this time. Nato has been quick to express its regret.
Maj Gen Nick Carter, the commander of Nato forces in southern Afghanistan, told the BBC he will be travelling to Uruzgan to visit the wounded.
He said any loss of life was deeply tragic and entirely counter-productive for the Nato mission.
Nato has launched an inquiry into the attack, and the commander of the international forces in Afghanistan, Gen Stanley McChrystal, has apologised to Afghan President Hamid Karzai.
Last year, Gen McChrystal introduced much tougher rules of engagement in a bid to minimise such casualties.
The BBC's Chris Morris in Kabul says three vehicles on a road were hit by the strike on Sunday morning.
A Nato statement said it was thought the convoy contained Taliban insurgents on their way to attack Afghan and foreign military forces.
But local officials say all the dead were civilians. A spokesman for the Uruzgan governor, Nisar Ahmad Khetab, said the Taliban control the area.
Uruzgan province is where the Dutch mission to Afghanistan has been based since 2006, with nearly 2,000 service personnel.
Over the weekend, the Dutch government collapsed over disagreements in the governing coalition on extending deployments in Afghanistan beyond August this year.
BOTCHED AFGHAN AIR RAIDS
Sep 2009: Up to 142 civilians die in Kunduz province when hijacked
May 2009: US says 26 civilians died in raid in
Afghan officials say 140 died
Nov 2008: Raid on a Kandahar village destroys a
leaving nearly 40 civilians dead
Aug 2008: Up to 90 people, including
killed in Herat province, UN says
July 2008: Raid in Nangarhar mistakenly kills about 50 civilians at a
This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.