Languages
Page last updated at 16:02 GMT, Monday, 18 January 2010

Mumbai accused says four gunmen were Indian

The alleged  sole surviving Mumbai gunman
Mr Qasab retracted a confession he made earlier this year

The man alleged to be the sole surviving gunman in the 2008 Mumbai (Bombay) attacks, Mohammad Qasab, has said four of the gunmen were Indians.

Mr Qasab told a court that three of the four gunmen who stormed the Taj Mahal hotel were from Indian-administered Kashmir, Gujarat and Mumbai.

He did not reveal details about the identity of the fourth hotel attacker but claimed that he too was Indian.

The attacks led India to suspend peace talks with Pakistan.

India maintains that all the gunmen involved in the Mumbai attacks were from Pakistan.

Pakistan denied any responsibility in the immediate aftermath of the attacks, but later admitted they had been partly planned from its soil.

In December 2009, Mr Qasab retracted a confession made earlier in the year that he took part in the attacks.

Mr Qasab, who is Pakistani, said he had been forced by police to confess after being repeatedly beaten up.

The bodies of the nine gunmen killed during the attacks remain unclaimed.



Print Sponsor



FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

BBC navigation

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific