Languages
Page last updated at 06:32 GMT, Monday, 19 January 2009

Mumbai suspect's remand extended

Mohammed Ajmal Amir Qasab
Mohammed Ajmal Amir Qasab faces a string of charges

Mohammed Ajmal Amir Qasab, the sole known surviving suspect from the deadly attacks in Mumbai, has been remanded in custody for a further two weeks.

A magistrate extended custody until 2 February, police said.

Mohammed Ajmal Amir Qasab faces a number of charges including murder, attempted murder, waging war against a country and criminal conspiracy.

Multiple attacks on the city on 26 November left at least 173 people dead, including nine of the 10 gunmen.

Mohammed Ajmal Amir Qasab, who has previously been identified also as Mohammed Ajmal Qasab and Azam Amir Qasab among others, had been due to appear in court, but because of security concerns magistrates and court officials visited him at the Mumbai police crime branch office.

Mumbai crime branch chief Rakesh Maria told the BBC that Mohammed Ajmal Amir Qasab's custody had been taken in the case of the killings at the CST station, one of the sites of the attacks.

Dossier probe

Police say Mohammed Ajmal Amir Qasab and his accomplice Ismal Khan opened fire indiscriminately at the CST station and two other places, killing more than 50 people, including three top police officers.

TEN NAMED GUNMEN
Named militants. Mumbai police website
Nasir, alias Abu Umar (Nariman House)
Abu Ali (Taj Palace)
Soheb (Taj Palace)
Fahad Ullah (Oberoi)
Mohammed Ajmal Amir Qasab(survived)
Bada Abdul Rehaman (above left, Taj Palace)
Abdul Rehaman Chota (above right, Oberoi)
Ismal Khan (CST station)
Babar Imaran (Nariman House)
Nazir, alias Abu Omer (Taj Palace)

Ismal Khan was shot dead but Mohammed Ajmal Amir Qasab was taken alive and has been undergoing "sustained interrogation" since then.

He was remanded into custody on 27 November, a day after his arrest. Under Indian law, police can ask for another 14 days of custody for further interrogation.

They are required to file a charge sheet within 90 days of arrest, but as there are 12 different offences, it could take longer.

It is not clear whether Mohammed Ajmal Amir Qasab has any legal representation.

There have been reports that a prominent group of Indian lawyers is refusing to defend him.

However, all accused are entitled to legal aid and this should be provided when the accused asks for it before the court.

Relations between India and Pakistan have deteriorated sharply since the November attacks.

India says the attacks were plotted in Pakistan. Islamabad denies any link.

Last week, Pakistan said it had arrested 71 people in a crackdown on groups allegedly linked to the attacks.

Pakistan said it had also shut several schools run by a charity linked to the banned Lashkar-e-Taiba militant group.

Pakistan has called for a joint investigation into the attacks, something India has rejected.

On Saturday, Pakistan said it is also investigating a dossier of information on the attacks received from Delhi, and that the probe would be completed in 10 days.

Print Sponsor


RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

BBC iD

Sign in

BBC navigation

Copyright © 2018 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific