Languages
Page last updated at 13:07 GMT, Sunday, 19 October 2008 14:07 UK

Taleban kill many in bus attacks

Taleban fighters in Afghanistan (image from September 2008)
Taleban fighters have stepped up attacks in Afghanistan this year

Taleban insurgents have killed at least 27 people travelling on buses in the southern Afghan province of Kandahar.

A Taleban spokesman said that all those killed in the attacks on three buses were Afghan government soldiers, but officials said they were civilians.

The attacks happened on Thursday but the bodies have only just been found, dumped over a wide area.

A number of the men were beheaded after the attack in the Maiwand district, local and military sources say.

A Taleban spokesman said its fighters had boarded the buses travelling on the province's main highway, removed men identified as soldiers and shot them.

Afghan officials said all the victims were civilians as soldiers travel in military convoys or by plane.

Kandahar province has seen fierce fighting in recent months.

The Afghan army and international forces are fighting a counter-insurgency campaign against anti-government forces in the south of the country, the BBC's Martin Patience reports from the capital, Kabul.

'Child killed'

The casualty figures could not be independently verified.

BBC map

According to police in Kandahar, the militants failed to stop one bus, after which they opened fire, killing a child aboard the vehicle.

Stopping another bus carrying about 50 people, they killed 24 of those aboard and freed the rest, Kandahar police chief Matiullah Qateh was quoted as saying by Reuters news agency.

He added that women and children were aboard the buses involved in the attack.

An Afghan defence ministry spokesman, Gen Mohammad Zahir Azimi, was quoted by The Associated Press as saying a total of 31 people were killed.

Six of the dead were found beheaded in an area away from where the others were shot, the general explained. A village elder also said some of the dead had been decapitated.

Taleban spokesman Yousuf Ahmadi told AFP news agency that those killed were soldiers en route to Helmand province.

"We found government documents on them and we killed 27 of them," he said. "The rest, who were civilians, we freed."


RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

FROM OTHER NEWS SITES
The Times Taleban 'massacre 30 in bus hijack' - 20 hrs ago
Denver Post Taliban kills dozens on bus - 21 hrs ago
Miami HeraldTaliban kill bus passengers - 23 hrs ago
Telegraph Taliban kill 30 on bus in southern Afghanistan - 31 hrs ago
Guardian Unlimited Insurgents attacked buses in Kandahar killing 25 passengers - 31 hrs ago
* Requires registration



FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

BBC navigation

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific