Languages
Page last updated at 18:12 GMT, Tuesday, 9 September 2008 19:12 UK

Nato raid kills Afghan civilians

Graves being prepared Azizabad for people killed in last month's attack by US forces
Afghan civilian casualties have attracted much controversy

At least two Afghan civilians have been killed and 10 wounded in an air strike by Nato-led forces in the eastern province of Khost, Nato officials say.

They say that Nato forces were targeting an insurgent position when a weapon accidentally misfired.

The incident comes amid rising tension between the government and foreign forces over civilian casualties.

Afghan President Hamid Karzai has repeatedly warned the US and Nato over the number of civilian deaths.

He said last week that they were undermining his government and damaging the reputation of foreign forces in the country.

Meanwhile, the US-led coalition said three troops and an Afghan worker were killed by a bomb in the east.

It said that the soldiers were killed by an improvised explosive device (IED) of the type regularly used by Taleban.

The US-led coalition did not give the nationalities of the troops but correspondents say that most international soldiers in the east are US nationals.


RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

PRODUCTS & SERVICES

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific