[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Friday, 19 October 2007, 14:48 GMT 15:48 UK
Karachi eyewitness: City in shock
People in Karachi, who were among the crowds welcoming the return of Pakistani former PM Benazir Bhutto, describe how celebration turned into tragedy after two bomb explosions left at least 130 people dead.


I was at the scene of the incident and saw it all in front of me.

Victims of the blasts are helped away (18 October 2007)
More than 130 people were killed in suicide attacks on Bhutto's convoy
Benazir Bhutto was travelling in a bullet-proof truck. She had been standing on top of it, waving and talking to people.

Then she went inside and five minutes later came the first blast. After a couple of minutes there was another, bigger one.

There were so many people there, dead bodies were lying all over the road. There were many injured people too. Everyone was crying and shouting. There was panic all over the place. It was like hell.

Benazir Bhutto's bodyguards were carrying weapons and in the confusion they started firing them. Some people started throwing stones. There was such anger for the loss of innocent life.

The area where the blasts happened is only 15-20 minutes from the airport and it took Benazir Bhutto hours to reach it. It was packed with people. All innocent people.

Today everything is closed. You can't find any shops open, nothing. The whole city is in shock.


My house is not far from where the blasts occurred. I went there to enjoy the music and singing. People were dancing and singing in local languages. The atmosphere was so happy and peaceful.

Clean up operation in the morning (Photo: Shaukat Ali Khan)
Shaukat Ali Khan took this photo of the clean-up operation
Suddenly there were two explosions, minutes apart from each other, lighting up the night sky. One moment there was happiness and the next - overwhelming grief.

I stayed on to find out what had happened. The music had stopped and all you could hear was ambulance sirens. There was panic and noise. The area was cordoned off, there were many people and it was difficult to get closer.

I went to see the place early this morning. There was an unpleasant smell, body parts and human flesh were hanging from the trees. The street was being cleaned and washed.


I was at home when I heard the blasts. The first one was smaller and the second one was really loud. My house is right behind the road where it happened. The explosions shook the whole house.

Earlier I was thinking of going out to see Bhutto. Pictures were coming live on TV and although I am not her supporter, I was curious to see what's happening on the streets.

I was lucky that I stayed at home at that moment. After I heard the explosions, I rushed out. When I reached the place I saw many people crying and looking for help.

The affected area was cordoned off, so I couldn't see details, but it was clear that many people had lost their lives.

I blame all the politicians for allowing this to happen, for innocent people's lives to be sacrificed for political purposes.

Aftermath of the bombing

Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit


Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific