[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Languages
Last Updated: Monday, 27 August 2007, 09:56 GMT 10:56 UK
Strike called after India bombs
Grieving relatives
Almost all the bodies have been identified and passed to relatives
A strike called in protest against Saturday's twin bomb blasts in the southern Indian city of Hyderabad has shut down much of the city.

At least 42 people were killed and more than 60 wounded in explosions at an open-air auditorium and a restaurant.

Almost 36 hours after the attacks, police are yet to find any clear leads.

The state authorities say groups in Pakistan and Bangladesh are responsible for the blasts. Both Pakistan and Bangladesh have denied the accusation.

On alert

India's main opposition Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) called the day-long shutdown.

Lumbini amusement park in Hyderabad
One of the blasts ripped through the Lumbini amusement park

It has criticised the government's failure to prevent the attack, saying it was soft on terrorism.

Most shops and businesses are shut in Hyderabad, one of the country's leading IT hubs, and the streets are largely deserted. All schools are closed as well on government orders.

The city has been placed on alert with large numbers of police deployed.

Indian President Pratibha Patil has said the attacks were aimed at disturbing harmony in Hyderabad which has a mixed Muslim and Hindu population.

Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister YS Rajasekhara Reddy has described the blasts as a suspected "terrorist act".

"Available information points to the involvement of terrorist organisations based in Bangladesh and Pakistan," the minister told reporters without giving any names.

India's Home Minister Shivraj Patil visited the site of the explosions, as well as injured people in hospital, on Sunday to urge vigilance.

He refused to comment on who might have carried out the attacks, merely saying that the investigation was underway.

He added that the authorities had had some prior information of the attack but that it had been too vague to act on.

Minutes apart

Investigators are continuing to examine evidence gathered from the site of the explosions to try to determine who was behind the attacks.

All but a couple of the bodies have been identified and handed over to their relatives.

Hyderabad police investigate scene of one of the blasts
Police are yet to find any clear leads

Saturday's explosions took place minutes apart at an open-air auditorium and a popular outdoor restaurant.

Hundreds of people were watching a laser show at the Lumbini amusement park when the first bomb went off there.

The second attack took place at Gokul Chat shop - a restaurant serving snacks and savouries.

The explosions came three months after 11 people were killed in a bombing at the city's 17th Century Mecca Mosque.

Police have yet to formally name suspects for that attack.


VIDEO AND AUDIO NEWS
Deserted streets in Hyderabad



SEE ALSO
In pictures: Hyderabad bombs
26 Aug 07 |  In Pictures
India mosque blast suspect held
25 May 07 |  South Asia
Country profile: India
26 Jul 07 |  Country profiles
Timeline: India
21 Jul 07 |  Country profiles

RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites




FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

PRODUCTS & SERVICES

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific