Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: World: Middle East
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-----------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-----------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Sport 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 
Tuesday, 21 December, 1999, 12:36 GMT
Osama bin Laden 'cut off'

The Taleban ambassador addressed reporters in Pakistan The Taleban ambassador addressed reporters in Pakistan


Afghanistan's ruling Taleban have said that Saudi militant Osama bin Laden cannot plan any attacks because they have removed his access to telephone and fax machines.

The Taleban ambassador to Pakistan, Sayed Mohammed Haqqani, said the move was taken against Mr Bin Laden because of the concerns of the international community.



Bin Laden doesn't even have an access to a telephone or fax
Sayed Mohammed Haqqani
The ambassador said the Taleban had assured the United States in a letter that Osama bin Laden had no plans to attack Americans.

"Osama, whom America has projected as an important figure, neither has any plans nor can he carry out such plans from Afghan territory against any one," he said.

"He is living as a free person but while under some controls."

US warning

The announcement came a week after the United States warned the Taleban that Washington would hold them responsible for any attack on Americans by Mr bin Laden's followers.


Ambassador Haqqani: America needs to be rational Ambassador Haqqani: America needs to be rational
Last week, the Jordanian authorities arrested 13 people alleged to have links to the Saudi militant and suspected of planning attacks on American targets during millennium celebrations.

Another suspect was extradited to Jordan from Pakistan.

But Mr Haqqani urged Washington to be rational and said the Taleban refused to accept responsibility for attacks against Americans.

"If you really are interested to resolve this issue rationally, then what is the use of force?" he asked.

Washington holds Osama bin Laden responsible for the bombing of two US embassies in Kenya and Tanzania last year, and has asked the Taleban to hand him over.

But the Taleban, which controls most of Afghanistan, rejected the demand.

It has offered, instead, to try him in a special Islamic court with judges from three Muslim countries, or hand over the case to the Organisation of the Islamic Conference.

Both offers were turned down by the Americans.

Last month, the United Nations imposed sanctions on Afghanistan for the Taleban's failure to extradite Mr bin Laden

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
Middle East Contents

Country profiles

See also:
15 Dec 99 |  Middle East
Jordan arrests 'Afghan-trained militants'
06 Aug 99 |  South Asia
Osama bin Laden: America's most wanted
15 Dec 99 |  Americas
US warns Taleban over 'terror threat'
12 Nov 99 |  Americas
FBI reorganises to combat terror
09 Oct 99 |  Africa
US embassy bombing suspect in court
14 Dec 99 |  Americas
'Terror threat' triggered US warning

Internet links:

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites
Links to other Middle East stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Middle East stories