[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Languages
Last Updated: Tuesday, 12 September 2006, 08:34 GMT 09:34 UK
Four guilty of 1993 Mumbai blasts
Scene of Mumbai blasts 1993

A court in India's western Mumbai (Bombay) city has found four members of a family guilty for their roles in the serial bomb blasts in the city in 1993.

A total of 123 defendants are accused of involvement in the blasts in India's financial capital that killed 257 people and wounded 713.

Judge PD Kode said the other verdicts would be announced in stages because of the large number of accused.

The main accused, underworld don Dawood Ibrahim, has not been caught.

Ibrahim is now believed to be living in Pakistan and is accused of being the mastermind of the plot.

Judge Kode said that four members of a family, Yaqub Memon, Yusuf Memon, Isa Memon and Rubina Memon had been found guilty of involvement in the bombings.

All of them have been found guilty of conspiracy and abetting a terrorist act.

They are related to another main accused, Tiger Memon, who has not been caught and is believed to be living outside India.

Correspondents say Tiger Memon owned a restaurant in Mumbai and was allegedly closely associated with Dawood Ibrahim.

The police say he was involved in gold and narcotic smuggling and was one of the masterminds of the 1993 blasts. Some reports suggest that he is running a business outside India.

Legal history

Bollywood star, Sanjay Dutt, is among the accused.

Aftermath of the 1993 Mumbai blasts
The 1993 blasts in Mumbai killed 257 people

Dutt was arrested 13 years ago on terrorism charges and spent nearly two years in jail before the Supreme Court released him on bail.

The BBC's Zubair Ahmed in Mumbai says that there have been few trials in India to match this one in legal history.

It has taken more than a decade, with evidence from more than 600 witnesses.

1993 MUMBAI BLASTS
12 blasts
257 dead
713 injured
123 arrested and tried
686 witnesses testify
35,000 pages of evidence submitted
13 years to reach verdict

The bombings are believed to have been carried out by one of the city's notorious underworld crime syndicates, which were then dominated by Muslims.

Their motive is said to have been to avenge the deaths of Muslims killed in religious rioting in the city during the preceding months.

Most of the accused men have been languishing in jail for the last 13 years.

Lawyers have criticised the length of the trial.

The case has taken so long that 12 of the accused have died, and others have been imprisoned for so much longer than their likely sentence that a guilty verdict may still result in them walking free.



SEE ALSO
Salem implicates Bollywood actor
01 Mar 06 |  South Asia
India 'most wanted' back in court
23 Nov 05 |  South Asia
Indian bomb suspect 'confesses'
21 Nov 05 |  South Asia
Analysis: Bollywood and the mafia
01 Oct 03 |  South Asia
Indian crime boss goes on trial
29 Oct 03 |  South Asia
Profile: Bollywood's nemesis
21 Sep 02 |  South Asia

RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites



FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

PRODUCTS & SERVICES

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific