[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Languages
Last Updated: Saturday, 15 July 2006, 17:41 GMT 18:41 UK
Dhaka dismisses Mumbai bomb claim
By Waliur Rahman
BBC News, Dhaka

Blast site in Mumbai, India
Bangladesh has denounced all forms of terrorism
Bangladesh has dismissed reports in the Indian media that explosives used in the Mumbai blasts came from Bangladesh.

Home Minister Lutfozzaman Babor told reporters in Dhaka that the allegations were "ridiculous and laughable".

Officials say security has been further increased in Bangladesh since the blasts in Mumbai (Bombay) which have been unreservedly condemned by Dhaka.

Mr Babor said that bombings last year in Bangladesh were carried out by militants using explosives from India.

Death sentences

He said that the allegations in the Indian media could have been made "to counter" this fact.

The minister said the Jamaat-ul Mujahideen Bangladesh (JMB) group used explosives of Indian origin, which were smuggled into the country.

More than 30 people were killed in a series of nationwide bomb attacks 17 August 2005, allegedly carried out by the banned Islamic group.

Most senior JMB figures were arrested, and have been sentenced to death.

Officials said security had been increased across Bangladesh following the Mumbai bombings.

In addition to denouncing the Mumbai bombings, Dhaka maintains that it has always stood against terrorism "in all forms and manifestations".


RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites



FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

PRODUCTS & SERVICES

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific