[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Languages
Last Updated: Wednesday, 13 July, 2005, 12:09 GMT 13:09 UK
Pakistan 'thwarted attack in UK'
Interior Minister Aftab Khan Sherpao
Mr Sherpao pledged further cooperation with the British
Pakistan has said it helped Britain thwart a militant attack before May's general election in the UK.

Interior Minister Aftab Khan Sherpao said Islamabad provided information that had led to "some arrests".

He also pledged Pakistan would provide any more useful information it had. The Home Office refused to comment.

At least 52 people died in suspected suicide attacks in London on 7 July. Police believe at least three attackers were Britons of Pakistani descent.

Computer expert

Mr Sherpao was speaking at a news conference in the Pakistani capital, Islamabad.

He said: "Before the general elections in the UK we received reports that this sort of situation might arise, and attacks were aborted because of information provided by the government of Pakistan, and arrests were made in various countries and here."

Leeds
Leeds is the centre of the British police's inquiries

Mr Sherpao declined to give further details on the information provided.

However, he added: "Whatever information, I don't want to be specific in this case because that would not be proper at this juncture, but whatever useful information that we have we will be providing to the British government."

The minister refused to comment on media reports that British authorities had sought access to a 25-year-old Briton arrested in Peshawar, North-West Frontier Province, in May.

Pakistan's arrest of a computer expert with alleged al-Qaeda links in July last year was said to have provided information leading to a number of arrests in his own country and the United Kingdom.

Pakistani authorities said Mohammad Naeem Noor Khan was a key piece in the al-Qaeda jigsaw.

Shocked leaders

British detectives believe three British men of Pakistani descent died carrying out the London attacks. If they are confirmed as suicide attacks, they would be the first of their kind in the UK.

A fourth suspected bomber has not yet been identified by police.

British Muslim leaders have reacted with shock to the news that the bombers may have been British-born young people from their community.

The Muslim Council of Britain's secretary general, Iqbal Sacranie, said: "Nothing in Islam can ever justify the evil actions of the bombers."




RELATED INTERNET LINKS:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


PRODUCTS AND SERVICES

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia
UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature | Technology | Health
Have Your Say | In Pictures | Week at a Glance | Country Profiles | In Depth | Programmes
Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific